Notice of marriage appointments
Due to the very high customer demand for Notice of Marriage appointments we have temporarily suspended our online booking function. If your ceremony date is within the next 3 months please contact the Registration Service directly ensuring you use the contact details below:
- If you live in Northampton, Daventry and Towcester please contact West Northamptonshire Council [email protected]
Deaths reported to the Coroner
Some deaths have to be reported to a Coroner before:
- the death can be registered at the registration office
- the document allowing the funeral to go ahead can be issued
When is a death reported to the Coroner?
A death would normally be reported to a Coroner if:
- there is no doctor who can issue a medical certificate of cause of death
- the deceased was not seen by the doctor issuing the medical certificate after death nor within 28 days before death (increased to 28 days under the Coronavirus Act 2020)
- the cause of death is unknown
- the cause of death is believed to be unnatural or suspicious
- the death occurred during an operation or before recovery from an anaesthetic
- the death was due to industrial disease or industrial poisoning
What happens in these circumstances?
Once a death has been reported to the Coroner, the registrar cannot go ahead with the registration until the Coroner has decided whether any further investigation is needed.
- In the vast majority of cases no further investigation is necessary and the registration can be completed
- In some cases an inquest is carried out
You can view a list of upcoming Coroner's inquests.
What happens after the inquest?
Once the Coroner has passed their conclusion as to cause of death they will notify the registrar who will then register the death and contact the next of kin to offer to issue them any death certificates they might require.
How to contact the Coroner
If you wish to speak to a Coroner's Officer about an existing case please call:
The Senior Coroner for Northamptonshire is:
Mrs Anne Pember
HM Coroner for the County of Northamptonshire
Northampton NN1 1ED
Email: [email protected]