Blue Badges for individuals
How to apply for or renew a Blue Badge
A Blue Badge is a disabled parking permit that allows easier access to public facilities for people with severe mobility issues or non-visible (hidden) conditions, causing them to severely struggle with the journeys between a vehicle and their destination by allowing them to park closer.
There is a £10 charge when applying for a Blue Badge payable by credit or debit card. If you are not eligible you will be automatically refunded.
The application process is for:
- first time applicants
- people with an existing Blue Badge
What you will need
You will need:
- credit or debit card (and, if your bank requires it, your phone to authenticate your payment)
- a recent, colour, digital photo of yourself (passport-style, showing your head and shoulders)
- proof of address dated within the last 12 months - this should either be a copy of a utility bill, bank statement or an official letter in your own name such as a council tax bill, letter from the benefits agency
- proof of identity - this proof must detail your full name and date of birth such as a birth certificate, valid photo card driving license or a passport
- proof of benefit - including all pages of the letter and dated within the last 12 months (if applicable)
NB: Our online application has an ‘opt-in’ identity checker which automatically verifies your identity if you are on the electoral role or have used credit agencies in the past. You will only need to upload ID if you opt out of this process, or if the check is unable to authenticate your details.
You may also need to provide the following, depending on your application route or your disability or condition:
- information about any medication you are currently taking
- information about any treatments or surgery you have had or are due to have, that relate to your condition (including dates, if possible)
- official diagnosis letters any other relevant information or reports that are relevant to your application that demonstrate, or help to demonstrate, your eligibility
Due to the variability of the impact of various disabilities and health conditions, it is recommended that supporting information includes:
- details of the impact of your condition on your ability to make a journey
- the frequency that these impacts occur
- whether they are specifically brought on by making a journey
Preparing documents for upload
You can only upload any type of visual electronic file, such as scanned images or documents, or photos taken on a digital camera, tablet or smartphone.
Scans and photos should show the full page, including your name and address where relevant so we know that the document refers to you, and text must be clearly legible and not blurred.
Documents that are not clear or incomplete cannot be used and may delay the application process.
Your application will be assessed within 6 weeks. If you do not provide all the correct documents within 28 days, your application will be automatically closed and you will be refunded.
You will not automatically receive a renewal reminder. It is the badge holder's responsibility to apply for a new badge 8 weeks before the expiry date.
Getting help with your Blue Badge application
If you need help completing your Blue Badge application, you can book an appointment at your local library or visit one of our monthly drop-in sessions.
To book an appointment at your local library, please contact us.
Last updated 26 June 2023