The Queen's Platinum Jubilee
This year Her Majesty the Queen marks 70 years of service, becoming the first British monarch in history to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee.
An extended bank holiday running from Thursday 2 June to Sunday 5 June will provide an opportunity for communities to mark this incredible milestone.
There will be a packed weekend of activities including:
- official beacon-lighting ceremonies
- a countywide jubilee pageant through Northampton
- a Big Lunch at Delapre Abbey
Highlights of the bank holiday
Thursday 2 June – Light a beacon for the Jubilee
- The traditional ceremony of lighting the beacons will take place throughout the United Kingdom. Towns and parishes across West Northants are being encouraged to get involved - visit Queen's Jubilee Beacons to find out more information
- Thursday will see the Trooping of the Colour, with 1400 soldiers, 200 horses and 400 musicians coming together to mark the Queen’s official birthday. The parade will begin at Buckingham Palace, continuing through The Mall to Horse’s Guard Parade, and closing with a traditional RAF fly-pass
Friday 3 June - Thanksgiving service
- A service of Thanksgiving is to be held at St Paul’s Cathedral, with more information to be announced at a later date
Saturday 4 June – Jubilee Pageant, Northampton
A spectacular countywide pageant will take place in Northampton town centre on Saturday, 4 June. Participants, including military and emergency services personnel, youth and community groups and businesses from across Northamptonshire will parade through the town centre, starting at 11am and finishing around 1pm. The pageant will begin at the top of Abington Street and follow a route down the street, along George Row, up The Drapery and onto the Market Square, where a celebration service will take place.
National events taking place on Saturday include:
- Her Majesty, alongside members of the Royal Family, will attend the Derby at Epsom Downs
- The BBC will be broadcasting a live concert from Buckingham Palace, Platinum Party at the Palace, where some of the biggest names in entertainment will be performing live and celebrating the most significant moments from The Queen’s 70 years of service. Details on how to apply for tickets will be released at a later date
Sunday 5 June – The Big Lunch at Delapre Abbey
The Big Lunch at Delapre Abbey, will take place between 11am to 4pm. Tickets for the event have now sold out.
There will be a range of live music and arts performances, stalls and activities, with the chance to picnic and watch the national jubilee celebrations live on our big screen.
Businesses can still apply to sponsor The Big Lunch event.
Queen of Arts creative challenge
Get crafty for the Platinum Jubilee and see your creations on public display.
Decorate an everyday item in honour of Her Majesty - maybe a mug, T-shirt, tea towel, photo frame, water bottle... the possibilities are endless!
Or why not create a picture, portrait or poem on what the Queen means to you?
We'll showcase your creations at libraries across Northamptonshire, so get crafty kids to celebrate Her Majesty's reign!
Entries must be sent to [email protected] by Friday 13 May and include the entrant’s name, age and a couple of lines stating ‘what the Queen means to you.’
Organise a Big Lunch or jubilee street party
Towns, parishes and communities across West Northants are being encouraged to host street parties and big lunches over the bank holiday weekend.
The deadline to apply for a road closure has now passed.
For more information see:
- The Big Lunch
- A guide to organising a street party (Gov.UK)
- Street Party
- The Queen's Platinum Jubilee toolkit
Jubilee events in libraries
Many libraries across the county are holding Jubilee themed events between now and the beginning of June, including craft sessions, quizzes and exhibitions.
Check out the libraries events listings to find out what’s happening in a library near you. Just type ‘Jubilee’ into the search field to focus the results at Library events.
Community funding available
Local community and voluntary groups can also apply for grants to help fund projects commemorating the jubilee. Visit the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Funding Page to find out more.
Plant a tree for the jubilee
We are supporting the Queen’s Green Canopy initiative by inviting people to plant a tree to mark Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee.
Find out how you can get involved and plant a tree for the Queens Green Canopy.
If you would like to be kept updated on the jubilee arrangements and future information on how you can attend, please register your interest via our online form:Last updated 05 May 2022