The Queen's Platinum Jubilee
In 2022, Her Majesty The Queen will celebrate 70 years of service, becoming the first British monarch in history to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee. To mark this historic occasion, there will be year-round celebrations throughout not only the country, but also the Channel Islands and Commonwealth nations, to allow communities to come together and celebrate.
Throughout 2022, Her Majesty and members of the Royal Family will be travelling the country to take part in various engagements in honour of the Jubilee. This will culminate in a Platinum Jubilee Weekend in June.
An extended bank holiday running from June 2 to June 5 will provide an opportunity for communities across the United Kingdom to mark the incredible milestone. The bank holiday will see various events, community activities, and tributes to Her Majesty.
Highlights of the bank holiday
Thursday 2 June
- Thursday will see the Trooping of the Colour, with 1400 soldiers, 200 horses and 400 musicians coming together to mark the Queen’s official birthday. The parade will begin at Buckingham Palace, continuing through The Mall to Horse’s Guard Parade, and closing with a traditional RAF fly-pass
- The traditional ceremony of lighting the beacons will also feature, with beacons being lit throughout the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Overseas Territories and Commonwealth nations. If you wish to take part in the lighting of the beacons, you can visit Queen's Jubilee Beacons to find out more information
Friday 3 June
- A service of Thanksgiving is to be held at St Paul’s Cathedral, with more information to be announced at a later date
Saturday 4 June
- Her Majesty, alongside members of the Royal Family, will attend the Derby at Epsom Downs.
- The BBC will be broadcasting a live concert from Buckingham Palace, Platinum Party at the Palace, where some of the biggest names in entertainment will be performing live and celebrating the most significant moments from The Queen’s 70 years of service. Details on how to apply for tickets will be released at a later date
Sunday 5 June
- The Big Lunch, which has helped to bring communities together since 2009, will be inviting communities together as part of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations. Providing ideas for hosting an event, The Big Lunch can be as big as a street party, or as small as a garden barbecue
If you wish to hold an event within the public highway, such as a street party or fair, for which it will be necessary for the road to be closed for the safety of visitors and/or the travelling public, then you will need to apply for an event closure. Be aware that you should provide at least 6 weeks notice to give us time to undertake the necessary procedures, including advance newspaper advertisements
For more information see:
- A Jubilee Pageant will also be hosted, with 5000 performers from the United Kingdom and Commonwealth combining a variety of performance arts to commemorate both Her Majesty, and the collective celebratory efforts of people worldwide
Further announcements, and more information on how West Northants will be getting involved, will be made in the coming months. For more information on national events see Platinum Jubilee.
You may also be interested in planting a tree for the jubilee, see the Queens Green Canopy.