Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Local Offer: A Quick Guide to EHC Plans and Higher Education - WNC

Local Offer: A Quick Guide to EHC Plans and Higher Education - WNC logo


“Securing a place in Higher Education is a positive outcome for many young people with special educational needs. Where a young person has this ambition, the right level of provision and support should be provided to help them to achieve that goal, wherever possible.” (Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0 to 25 Years)

Young people who have an Education, Health, and Care (EHC) Plan should be aware that it will cease when they enter university or any other higher education (HE) setting. The local authority will share the EHC Plan with the university on request. They must also share the EHC Plan with a Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) assessor if asked, and if the young person agrees. 

Any social care support that is needed can be planned before moving away from home. Under the Care Act 2014, young people have the right to request transition assessments for adult social care services once they turn 18. Local authorities should use these assessments to plan support that will be provided while the young person is in higher education.

HE providers (usually universities) will have arrangements in place for students with additional needs. It’s important for young people to make themselves (and their needs) known to the university’s disability officer, the accommodation, and the course-provider as early as possible.


  • Brackley Area
  • Corby Area
  • Daventry Area
  • East Northants Area
  • Kettering Area
  • Northampton Area
  • Towcester Area
  • Wellingborough Area
  • North Northamptonshire
  • West Northamptonshire
  • Northamptonshire
Additional languages
Translation and/or Interpreting Available on Request
Age range
Suitable for ages from 18 years to 25 years
Referral route
  • Self Referral
  • Education or School Referral
For people with
  • Special Educational Needs or a Disability (SEND)
  • Social, Emotional, or Mental Health (SEMH) Needs
  • Medical Conditions
Eligibility criteria
  • Age Range - Adulthood
  • Health Condition
  • Special Educational Needs or a Disability (SEND)
Provider category
Specialist Services - For those who require longer-term support


c/o The Local Offer, West Northamptonshire Council, One Angel Square, Angel Street
United Kingdom


Publication on the Local Offer does not endorse a provider, so please take reasonable steps to ensure that any service found on the Local Offer is suitable for your family member. For more information, please read our disclaimer.

Last updated 07 June 2024