Postal Vote Opening Assistant
Details of the job
Post title: Postal Vote Opening Assistant
Location: To Be Confirmed
Reports to: Postal Vote Manager / Elections Manager
Service area: Electoral Services – Corporate Services
Car Allowance: Not applicable to this role
Overall purpose of the job
The purpose of the Postal Vote Opening Team is to ensure that all returned postal vote packs are opened and verified in a secure method as designated by the Returning Officer. Please note, votes for individual candidates are not counted as part of this process.
The role of the Postal Vote Opening Assistant is not difficult, but the greatest of care must be taken to ensure that errors are not made. Prior to each session, the Postal Vote Manager will provide a brief to colleagues that will detail how the session is to be conducted in accordance with the method designated by the Returning Officer.
- to attend and successfully complete all training provided
- to be at the postal vote opening centre on time and attend the brief prior to the commencement of the postal vote opening session
- receive, open and check the contents of Postal Vote envelopes and tally the number of ballots
- to work in teams as allocated by the Postal Vote Manager/Supervisor
- ensure that team tables are kept clear and tidy during the opening process
- act impartially and politically neutral at all times, be polite and professional but not engage in debate with any candidates or agents that may be observing the opening session
- ensure that the requirements for secrecy and security are observed
This post may involve unsociable hours, for which a higher rate of pay will be applicable.
You may be required to perform additional duties not listed above which are appropriate and commensurate to your role and experience, ensuring the smooth running of the election process. Job descriptions can be amended at the organisations discretion to ensure service needs are met.
The Returning Officer is not permitted to employ anyone who is/or has carried out duties on behalf of any political party or candidate at the election. All staff will be required to sign an agreement to maintain the secrecy of the poll.
Knowledge, Qualifications and Experience
- previous election experience or understanding of the election process would be considered an advantage
Skills and Abilities
- good communication skills
- ability to follow strict procedures and instructions as directed by the Postal Vote Supervisor
- good personal presentation
- good administration skills, accuracy, and attention to detail
- a team player with a flexible attitude
- punctual and reliable
- able to assist in the setup of equipment. Following manual handling guidance
- must not have worked in support of a political party and/or candidate at the election, whether paid or unpaid. Postal Vote opening staff must also refrain from signing any candidate’s nomination papers for this election or standing as a candidate themselves
- must not have been convicted of an offence under Electoral Legislation
- acceptance and adherence to the terms of the Statement of Secrecy
- be aged 18 years or over
- must be able to provide evidence of Right to Work in the UK prior to commencement of employment
Last updated 14 September 2022