Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Temporary accommodation

If you think you need temporary accommodation and you already have an assigned housing adviser, please contact them directly. If you are homeless or worried about losing your home and you have not already contacted us, please contact our housing teams on 0300 126 7000.

While you are in temporary accommodation it is vital that you take responsibility for providing us with all the information we need to process your housing application, including identification and proof of income.

We will complete an assessment of your circumstances and decide whether we are able to provide you with an offer of temporary accommodation.

Temporary accommodation can include houses, flats and bed and breakfast type accommodation.

Although we aim to provide self contained accommodation, in some circumstances you may have to share kitchen and bathroom facilities.

Our housing team are not able to guarantee that you will be placed close to work, schools or support networks, however will do their best to find you accommodation in the general area.

Some of our accommodation placements are managed by external providers. Therefore, there may be a requirement to move between different temporary accommodation placements, depending on their availability.

In some cases our team may need to use accommodation outside of the West Northants area.

You may prefer to make your own arrangements while we consider your homelessness application.

Being in temporary accommodation doesn't give you more priority for housing than if you were staying with family or friends, so if there is somewhere else that’s suitable for you to stay in the short term you should consider that option.

You are likely to have to pay a contribution towards your temporary accommodation.

We will tell you the amount you have to pay as soon as possible, and we will help you with your housing benefit forms if you are entitled to it.

You may have to pay a service charge and you will need to pay utility bills, council tax and your TV licence.

You probably won’t be able to take all of your belongings into temporary accommodation, so you’ll need to arrange for them to be stored.

Some temporary accommodation is fully furnished, some is partly furnished and some is unfurnished. If you need help with furniture or storage, speak to your assigned housing officer.

We are rarely able to accommodate pets in our temporary accommodation and you may need to arrange for your pets to be looked after by friends, family or an animal charity.

However, if you are having difficulties making arrangements, please speak to your assigned housing adviser.

If we decide that we don’t have a duty to house you in the long term, you’ll have to leave the temporary accommodation and make your own arrangements. We will provide you with advice and assistance and suitable notice to leave the temporary accommodation and make your own arrangements

If we decide we do have a duty to house you, we will carry on with our duty to find you permanent accommodation through either private rented or social housing.

Any offers made could be anywhere within the district, but will be deemed to be suitable and affordable.

When you move into temporary accommodation, you will be required to agree to certain rules. These rules may relate to your behaviour, visitors and payment.

If you fail to follow these rules, you could risk losing your temporary accommodation and any future accommodation.

You can be evicted from temporary accommodation for things like:

  • anti-social behaviour
  • not paying the rent, or paying it late on a regular basis
  • refusing an offer of suitable, more permanent accommodation
  • not staying at the accommodation as your main address

Last updated 19 December 2023