Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Personal licence application guidance notes

You should make your personal licence application to the local authority for where you are normally resident. This will usually be the local authority to where council tax is paid for the property where you normally reside.

  1. Application Form and Disclosure of Convictions/Civil immigration penalties and Declaration Form
    Please complete the online form for a Personal Licence Holder. Both forms are combined in to one e-form
  2. Two passport sized photos
    Your photos must be endorsed by a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification. Please download the certificate of true likeness document and get this signed with your photos. You will also be required to upload one of the photos in it’s own right as well
  3. A certificate (or certified copy) in respect of the appropriate qualifying licensing course. The course is delivered by external providers
    A List of accredited qualifications can be found on Gov UK. We offer this as an e-Course and e-Exam. Please see our Training Courses for further information
  4. A copy of your proof of entitlement to live and work in the UK
    From the 6 April 2017, applicants for personal licences must prove that they have the legal right to work in the UK, by providing copies of official documents showing that they are either a British or UK citizen, a national of an EEA country or Switzerland, have been granted indefinite leave to remain and work in the UK, or have another immigration permission allowing them to lawfully work in a field relevant to the sale of alcohol. You can either provide documentation proving your right to work or the 9 digit Home Office Share code
  5. A basic disclosure
    Available from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) at Gov UK. Note your application must be submitted within 28 days from the date of your basic disclosure, or you will be asked to obtain a further check
  6. A fee of £37.00 will be taken at the end of the form


Your application will be sent to the office that would have covered the area in which your home address is situated prior to the unification of West Northamptonshire on 1 April 2021.

Daventry area
Licensing Team, Lodge Road, Daventry, NN11 4FP
email: [email protected]

Northampton area
Licensing Team, Guildhall, St Giles Square, Northampton, NN1 1DE
email: [email protected]

South Northamptonshire area
Licensing Team, The Forum, Moat Lane, Towcester, NN12 6AD, 
email: [email protected]

The government issues a range of information relating to the requirements for alcohol, regulated entertainment and late night refreshment licensing.

Last updated 21 July 2023