Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Student discount

To qualify for a student discount one of the following must apply:

1. Undertaking a full-time qualifying course

You must be undertaking a full time course at a prescribed educational establishment:

a) It must last at least one academic or calendar year
b) Each year must consist of attendance for at least 24 weeks
c) Each week must consist of at least 21 hours of study

We will need a certificate from the place of study to confirm your student status.

2. Undertaking a qualifying part-time course

You must be under 20 years of age and undertaking a qualifying part time course, which is:

a) for at least 3 months and a minimum of 12 hours a week
b) course level up to and including A-Levels
c) principally between the hours of 8:30am to 5pm

We will need a certificate from the place of study to confirm your student status.

3. Foreign Language Assistant

You must be registered with the British Council (formerly the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges), as a foreign language assistant, and appointed as such in a school or other educational institution in Great Britain. In this case we will need a letter from the British Council to confirm the appointment.

A disregard can be applied in certain circumstances.

A person who is the spouse or dependant of a student is disregarded for discount purposes if they are not a British citizen and they are prevented by immigration regulations from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits whilst in the UK. In this case we will need to see the visa or passport to confirm the terms of the stay.

School leavers can be considered for a discount in certain circumstances.

School or college leavers under 20 years of age, who have ceased to undertake a qualifying course of education between 30 April and 1 November, may also be considered for a discount (please ask for information about the School Leaver discount).

To make the property completely exempt from Council Tax, proof must be given that everyone who lives in the property is a student as defined above.

To apply for this in the Northampton area, you will need to contact us. Otherwise, please select your local area to apply.

Select your local area for more information:

If your area isn't listed, you may be a resident of North Northamptonshire.

Why information is on a different website
We are in the process of adding information to this new unitary council website. Some pages will give you a link back to a previous council website to help you find what you need. Read more about the council changes.

Last updated 09 December 2022