Council Tax energy rebate
Energy bills support scheme alternative funding
On 19 December the Government announced further schemes, to provide certain households with additional help towards their energy costs. These schemes will be introduced in the new year.
- The Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding (EBSS AF) scheme will be targeted at households that missed out on the £400 Energy bills discount scheme due to not having a direct contractual relationship with their electricity supplier. Customers who are eligible for support under the main Energy Bills Discount Scheme will not be eligible for EBSS AF.
- The Alternative Fuel Payment (AFP) scheme will be directed to those households that heat their homes using alternative energy sources, such as oil, coal, liquified petroleum gas (LPG) or biomass, rather than gas or electricity.
Applications for these schemes will be made to the Government and not to us.
We are waiting for further information from the Government as to how these schemes will operate and what our role will be in relation to administration. Therefore, we are not in a position to answer any questions about either of these schemes at the moment.
As soon as we have more information, we will update this page.
Core scheme bands A-D (scheme closed)
In February 2022 the Government announced a £150.00 Council Tax Energy Rebate for those residents who live in properties in Council Tax bands A to D (inclusive).
You must be the liable person for Council Tax and the property must be your main home as of 1 April 2022.
Visit the Government website for further information:
Please note the application window for the energy rebate to be credited to your bank account closed on the 31 July 2022.
Eligible direct debit customers received an automatic payment to their bank account in May 2022.
Those direct debit customers that couldn’t be automatically paid and non-direct debit customers, were sent a letter between 18 May and 23 May 2022 inviting them to apply via an online application form using a dedicated website.
To ensure that all eligible residents receive the benefit of the £150 Council Tax energy rebate, any residents that did not make an application by the 31 July 2022 had their Council Tax account credited with the £150 payment. The process of crediting Council Tax accounts has now been completed and all affected households have been issued a bill reflecting this.
Discretionary scheme (scheme closed)
Our Energy Rebate Discretionary Scheme has now closed. The scheme was designed to support a number of households in Council Tax bands E to H that were not eligible under the core scheme.
We identified eligible residents and the rebate was credited to respective council tax accounts by the 30 November 2022. There was no application process.
The award was credited to eligible households’ Council Tax accounts by 30 November 2022. Revised Council Tax bills were issued to reflect the award and detail recalculated instalments.
- The household has its sole or main residence in a dwelling and is liable for Council Tax on 1 April 2022 and
- The Council Tax liable person is not a local authority, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the Government, or a Government body
Group one - A single payment of £150 to households in receipt of the following:
- Local Council Tax Reduction in Council Tax bands E to H
- Carer discount disregards in Council Tax bands E to H
- A dwelling which is part of a single property containing at least one other dwelling (for example a granny annexe) and that is the main home of a dependant relative of a person resident in that other dwelling in Council Tax bands E to H
- Severely Mentally Impaired disregard or exemption in Council Tax bands E to H
- Disabled Band Reduction in Council Tax bands F to H
Group two - A single payment of £120 to households in receipt of the following:
- Single person discount in Council Tax bands E to H
- Student, student nurse, apprentice, or youth trainees disregard in Council Tax bands E to H
- Child benefit or school leaver disregard in Council bands E to H.
There will only be one award per eligible household from Group one or Group two (whichever is the highest).
For full details see the Discretionary Tax Energy Rebate Scheme Policy.
You can find out more information about discounts, disregards and exemptions.
Last updated 21 December 2022