Duty to refer
Public authorities have a duty to refer to us people engaged with their services who may be homeless or at risk of homelessness, where they have consent to do so.
Public authorities include:
- Prisons and young offender institutions
- Youth offending teams and probation services (including Community Rehabilitation Companies)
- Jobcentres in England
- Social service authorities
- Emergency departments and hospital inpatient care
- The Secretary of State for defence
However, staff at any organisation, including Registered Providers, can use the duty to refer portal and we encourage you to do so.
It’s quick and easy to register and then refer direct to our Housing Teams. Using the portal ensures we have all the information needed to contact your client.
The government has also produced guidance on the duty to refer.
If experience difficulties using Jigsaw ALERT please phone our Housing Teams on 0300 126 7000.
Last updated 27 September 2022