With no upper age limit to becoming an apprentice, an increasing number of people aged over 16 are favouring apprenticeships as a way of studying towards a formal qualification while working.
We started to provide Apprenticeship support in 2017 to improve the apprenticeship experience. The aim is for the Apprenticeship Team to provide practical hands-on support for apprentices and their managers from start to finish.
Councils are all levy-paying employers, which means the cost of their employees’ apprenticeships are met by employer contributions to the levy fund. The Apprenticeship Team manage the statutory responsibilities on the employers’ behalf, including reporting and funding allocation.
Apprenticeships are delivered by North Northamptonshire Council, who also offer programmes to West Northamptonshire Council, and are approved by the Education and Skills Funding Agency to deliver levy-funded apprenticeships and are accredited by a range of regulatory bodies including:
- Chartered Institute of Personnel Development
- Institute of Leadership and Management
- City and Guilds
Support for employees
We know studying alongside employment can be quite a challenge, so we support employees when it comes to determining their individual learning needs.
By working with employees, our dedicated specialists help to find the right apprenticeship and are on-hand to answer any questions employees have from start to finish.
If we do not deliver the apprenticeship you are looking for we will procure an appropriate training provider and work with employees who become an apprentice, to enable you to:
- access a comprehensive induction to the course
- find out what to expect throughout your apprenticeship
- clarify how much study time you will be eligible for
Are you eligible for an apprenticeship?
Before starting an apprenticeship you need:
- certificated evidence of Maths and English attainment to a grade C minimum - if you do not have this or have lost any of your certificates you will be required to undertake functional skills in either Maths or English or both alongside your apprenticeship which your provider will deliver
- your manager's support as they will need to release you from work to attend any taught sessions and complete any assignments
- the apprenticeship you want to undertake to relate to your current role and responsibilities
- to be aged 16+ at the time of enrolment
- to be a UK or European Economic Area (EEA) resident, or have lived in the UK or EEA for the past 3 consecutive years and not currently in full-time education at the point of enrolment
There is no upper age limit for becoming an apprentice, although arrangements for funding do differ if you are over 24 years of age.
There is fair access to apprenticeships and so your age shouldn't affect whether you'll be accepted for an apprenticeship.
Support for managers
Our training specialists work with managers to identify apprenticeships that will benefit their employees individually as well as collectively benefiting their service by narrowing skills gaps and boosting competencies.
We recommend managers consider recruiting apprentices for vacant positions and can support you with advertising and recruitment, including:
- checking the job description
- developing interview questions
- identifying an apprenticeship linked to the role you need to fill
- procuring a provider to deliver the apprenticeship if we do not deliver it ourselves
- advice on contract types and length
- uploading the vacancy to the Government website to give more visibility to the opportunities you are advertising
We can also support you by looking at career pathways for your team so you have all the skills and knowledge to remain current in your field and identify development opportunities linked to PADP outcomes.
Popular apprenticeships we deliver
Management and leadership
Find an apprenticeship
Known as 'apprenticeship standards' there are around 750 current apprenticeships to choose from at varying levels, from GCSE to Masters.
Find apprenticeships on the Institute for Apprenticeships website.