Partial review of the MWDF/Local Plan examination
Planning Inspector Jonathan G King BA (Hons) DipTP MRTPI has been appointed to undertake an independent examination into the soundness of Northamptonshire County Council’s Minerals and Waste Development Framework Partial Review.
The Inspector’s task is to consider the soundness of the submitted Plan, based on the criteria set out in paragraph 182 of the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF). The relevant soundness criteria are whether the plan is:
- positively prepared - based on a strategy that seeks to meet objectively assessed development and infrastructure requirements, including unmet requirements from neighbouring authorities where it is reasonable to do so and consistent with achieving sustainable development
- justified - the most appropriate strategy when considered against the reasonable alternatives, based on proportionate evidence
- effective - the plan should be deliverable over its period and based on effective joint working on cross-boundary strategic priorities; and
- consistent with national policy - the plan should enable the delivery of sustainable development in accordance with the policies in the NPPF
The Inspector will take into account the representations submitted on the Plan at Proposed Submission (final draft plan) stage as far as they relate to soundness considerations.
A number of informal debates will take place on the principal matters identified by the Inspector - these are termed Hearing Sessions.
Following the closure of the examination, the Inspector will prepare a report to the county council with precise recommendations, these recommendations may include modifications to the plan, if such a request is made by the county council.
Guidance notes have been prepared by the Inspector to help people understand the process. Any queries people may have regarding the Examination process should be directed to the Programme Officer who will be happy to assist.
The Programme Officer
The Programme Officer, Ian Kemp, will act as the contact for any person who has an interest in the Examination and as a liaison between the Inspector, county council and representors.
He is an independent Officer of the examination and works on behalf of the Inspector to organise and manage the administrative and procedural aspects of the examination process. Mr Kemp is the appropriate point of contact for any questions relating to timetabling or procedural matters. All statements will also be submitted through him.
Hearing sessions venue and timetable
The hearing sessions took place between 7 to 9 April 2014 in the Blue Room at County Hall, Northampton.
A detailed programme for the Hearing Sessions together with matters discussed is available below:
Further written statements
Following the deadline for receipt of further written statements in response to the Inspector's Matters and Questions the following submissions were received:
Matter 1: The Duty to Co-operate
Matter 2: Legal Requirements and Procedural Matters
Matter 3: Other General Issues
Matter 4: Provision to be met for Minerals
- Northamptonshire County Council (PDF format 162KB)
- GP Planning (PDF format 114KB)
- Minerals Products Association (PDF format 145KB)
- Minerals Products Association Appendix 1 (PDF format 4.32MB)
- Minerals Products Association Appendix 2 (PDF format 3.41MB)
Matter 5: Provision to be met for Waste Management
- Northamptonshire County Council (PDF format 83KB)
- GP Planning (PDF format 101KB)
- North London Boroughs (114KB)
Matter 6: Radioactive Waste Policy
Matter 7: Allocated sites
- Northamptonshire County Council (PDF format 143KB)
- GP Planning Minerals Statement (PDF format 114KB)
- GP Planning Waste Statement (PDF format 101KB)
Matter 8: Implementation and Monitoring
Evidence base documents
In preparing the plan the county council both refer to and were informed by a number of documents that together form the 'evidence base' for the examination. The majority of these documents can be accessed through the links in the Examination Library Index document and the remaining from the links below:
Last updated 23 May 2023