Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement
This article is more than 1 year old

Getting support when your GP practice is closed

22 December 2022

a female doctor

Did you know you can still get NHS support when your GP practice is closed, even during evenings, weekends and on Bank Holidays including Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day?

There are a range of services available to support patients with non-life threatening illnesses and injuries, and NHS 111 online can direct patients to the most appropriate service to meet their needs.

Options include:

NHS 111

NHS 111 is available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day for urgent health concerns, giving you advice and reassurance without needing to leave your home. If needed a healthcare professional will call you back. 

If you are contacting NHS 111 about a patient aged 5 or under please call 111.

Enhanced access (GP out of hours)

Bookable appointments with a healthcare practitioner such as a doctor, nurse or physio are available during weekday evenings and weekends but you may have to travel - book through your practice or 111.NHS.UK

Local pharmacy

Your local pharmacy can help with minor illnesses like coughs, colds and red eye. They are open late and on weekends and Bank Holidays with no appointment needed.

Local pharmacies will be open throughout the Christmas and New Year period. Please visit the NHS England website for opening times

Corby Urgent Care Centre

Corby Urgent Care Centre is open every day between 8am and 8pm and can help with minor injuries/ illnesses such as lacerations, sprains, strains, minor burns or scalds.

Further details about Corby Urgent Care Centre can be found on the One Medical Group website

Urgent mental health support

If you are feeling unwell or are worried about someone, there is range of support options available. Please visit the Northamptonshire Healthcare Foundation NHS Trust website for information about what support is available.

Remember you can get the answers to hundreds of health questions, including seasonal advice via

Remember if it is a life-threatening emergency or if you are concerned about an immediate risk of harm, either to yourself or someone else please phone 999.

Want the latest Council news delivered straight to your inbox?