Elected members privacy notice
1 Council Contact Details
1.1 West Northamptonshire Council
One Angel Square
Tel: 0300 126 7000
Who we are and what we do
I am an elected member of West Northamptonshire Council, representing the residents of my ward. As part of my work in the community I contact officers of the Council and other organisations on your behalf to investigate your concerns and respond to your enquiries.
I am registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office as a Data Controller, my registration details can be found on the ICO website
2 Information that we hold
2.1 What type of personal information do I collect and how do I collect it?
When I do constituency work for you, I might collect the following information to help you:
- contact telephone number
- email addresses
In some cases, such as assisting you with specific issues or specific organisations, I might need additional information such as:
- your National Insurance Number
- your date of birth
- your signature
- information about your health needs
- details of family members
On rare occasions I might handle special category data, such as your medical information.
2.2 If there is further guidance on the council’s website please also include a link here.
3 How the information is obtained
3.1 How I collect personal information
I collect information in various ways, for example:
- when we meet in the community or at my surgeries
- when you telephone or email me
- when you send a written letter
3.2 What is my power to obtain and use your personal data?
There must be a lawful basis to allow me to collect and use your personal information. The following will apply:
- consent – you provide me with your information and ask me to act on your behalf
- protect your vital interests – in a life or death situation or to protect you or another person from harm
- a task in the public interest or part of my role – as a Councillor I am authorised to use your personal information for certain tasks
- legitimate interests – I need to process your data for my legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party
- establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims – whenever courts are acting in their judicial capacity
- substantial public interest
For special category data, such as your medical information, the following conditions will apply:
- explicit consent - this will usually be in writing
- protect vital interests - when you are unable to give consent and you or someone else is at risk of harm
- establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims or whenever courts are acting in their judicial capacity
4 What we do with the information
4.1 What is your personal information used for?
- to investigate and respond to your request for advice, guidance or information
- to investigate and respond to an enquiry or a complaint you have contacted me about
4.2 Will your personal information be shared?
In some cases, to enable me to deal with your issues, I may share your information with other organisations such as:
- North Northamptonshire Council
- Department for Work & Pensions (DWP)
- National Health Service (NHS)
- Local authorities
Where possible, I will let you know when I have shared the information. In some cases it may not be possible to tell you that information is shared, for example an investigation or a Police matter.
5 How long we keep your information for and how we securely dispose of it after use
5.1 We keep your personal information for all aspects of processing in line with the council’s retention schedules.
How long will I keep your personal information?
As part of my work keeping track of your case, I will retain your information for 6 years after your case has been dealt with. Some information, such as scheduling meetings is held for less time.
5.2 We will securely dispose of your information in line with retention periods.
6 How we store your information
6.1 Your information is securely stored on the council’s systems.
How do I keep your personal information secure?
I will keep your information securely. In addition to the security provided by the Council and/or my devices, I will safeguard access to any information you provide me.
Is your personal information processed overseas?
Usually I do not send your personal information outside the European Economic Community. If I do for any reason (such as using cloud computing servers with overseas data centres) I will let you know and ensure that it is done within the appropriate procedures and safeguards as set down by the Information Commissioner’s Office.
I will not use your information, or pass it onto another organisation for marketing or sales purposes without your prior express consent.
7 Your data protection rights
7.2 Please be aware that your rights may differ depending on the lawful basis for processing your personal data.
7.3 The right to withdraw consent (if applicable). You can ask that we no longer use your details for this [processing/groups of processing]. If you wish to exercise this right, please contact the Data Protection Officer detailed in section 8.1 below.
8 Who to contact
8.1 If you would like further information about how we use your personal information, or you wish to exercise one of your data rights or you wish to complain about the use of your personal information please contact the Data Protection Officer.
8.2 If you are still dissatisfied once you have contacted the Data Protection Officer, you have the right to complain to the ICO.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
This privacy notice was completed on 1 April 2021.
The privacy notice review date is April 2022.