Attendance and behaviour advice for parents
You must ensure your child gets a full-time education that meets their needs.
You should notify your school if you change address, or your child may be recorded as missing from education.
We work with all local education providers to improve the attendance of children and young people.
Absence in term time
If your child is ill
You must contact the school on the first day of absence.
Holidays in term time
You must get permission from the headteacher if you want to take your child out of school during term time.
You can only do this if:
- you make an application to the headteacher in advance (as a parent the child normally lives with)
- there are exceptional circumstances
It’s up to the headteacher how many days your child can be away from school if leave is granted.
You can be fined for taking your child on holiday during term time without permission from the headteacher of the school.
An initial fixed penalty notice of £60 is issued to each parent for each child.
Help with your child’s school attendance
If you are having problems getting your child to attend school, please contact the school or us.
If your child’s attendance doesn’t improve, the school can choose to draw up a parenting contract. If attendance remains unacceptably low the school will contact the School Attendance Support Service who have the power to prosecute parents for not ensuring that their children receive appropriate education at school.
Attendance and behaviour support
- GOV.UK information about school attendance and absence and exclusion law
- IASS Northamptonshire - support about exclusion and attendance
- Coram legal services - free legal information, advice and representation to families
Last updated 06 December 2023