Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Adult Social Care: Personal Budgets and Direct Payments - WNC

Adult Social Care: Personal Budgets and Direct Payments - WNC logo


What is an Adult Social Care Personal Budget?

If you feel you need extra care and support, you can request a needs assessment from Adult Social Care

If the needs assessment identifies that you have eligible care and support and needs (as per the Care Act 2014), you will be asked to complete a financial assessment.

West Northamptonshire Council (WNC) will use the information from these two assessments, and work with you to create a care and support plan. The plan will outline how your needs are going to be met and what outcomes you want to acheive. The plan will also outline:

  • who will meet your needs (for example, a private care company)
  • how much it will cost to meet your needs
  • and where the money will come from

The money might come from the Council, from state benefits, from your own contibutions, or a conbination of the three.

If the Council gives you a set amount of money to spend on social care and support, that money will be called a Personal Budget.

You can choose how to receive your Personal Budget. You can ask the Council to either:

  • manage your Personal Budget for you
  • pay the money to another organisation (such as a care provider)
  • pay the money directly to you or someone you choose (this is known as a Direct Payment)

You can also choose a combination of these options.

What is an Adult Social Care Direct Payment?

If you have been assessed as eligible for support from social care, you might choose to revceive your Personal Budget as a Direct Payment. This puts you (or someone you trust) in control of the care and support you receive.

For more information about Direct Payments in West Northamptonshire, visit Direct Payments.

Direct Payment - Managed by You or a Relative

Your Direct Payment can be paid to either:

  • yourself
  • someone you choose to manage the money for you

This option may be ideal if you:

  • want more flexibility with how your care and support is arranged and provided
  • would like to choose your care workers or personal assistants (PAs)
  • have had a specific person recommended to you who you wish to employ
  • are confident with managing money and employing people

For more information, visit Direct Payment (managed by you or a relative).

Direct Payment - Managed by the Council

West Northamptonshire Council can arrange your care and support based on the care and support plan. They can use your Direct Payment to pay for it.

This option may be ideal for you if you’re worried about managing money and/or the people you'll employ.

For more information, visit Direct Payment (managed by the Council).

The Direct Payment and Personal Budget Support Service

The Personal Budget Support Service (PBSS) is a team within West Northamptonshire Council. It supports people who want assistance in managing their Direct Payment.

PBSS gives advice and support on all matters relating to managing your Direct Payment, including:

  • employer role and responsibilities
  • employment law
  • paying staff
  • managing care agencies
  • keeping records  

The team also support with recruiting Personal Assistants (PAs) including shortlisting, interviewing, DBS checks and reference checks. People who employ a PA can access and use the PBSS payroll or managed accounts service, which includes HMRC payments and pension contributions for employees.

For more information, please visit the Direct Payment and Personal Budget Support Service.

How to Get this Service

A social care professional must refer you to this service. 

You can use this online form to help the Council understand any care needs you may have. They will use this information to decide if you might be eligible for support.

  • Brackley Area
  • Daventry Area
  • Northampton Area
  • Towcester Area
  • West Northamptonshire
  • Northamptonshire
Additional languages
Translation and/or Interpreting Available on Request
Age range
Suitable for ages from 18 years to 99 years
Referral route
Professional Referral
For people with
Special Educational Needs or a Disability (SEND)
Eligibility criteria
  • Age Range - Adulthood
  • Special Educational Needs or a Disability (SEND)
  • Assessment Needed
Provider category
Specialist Services - For those who require longer-term support


West Northamptonshire Council, One Angel Square, Angel Street
United Kingdom


Publication on the Local Offer does not endorse a provider, so please take reasonable steps to ensure that any service found on the Local Offer is suitable for your family member. For more information, please read our disclaimer.

Last updated 10 April 2024