Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement


POhWER logo


West Northamptonshire Council commissions the charity POhWER to provide advocates for its adult service-users.

What is Independent Advocacy?

Independent advocacy means supporting people to understand information, express their needs and wishes, secure their rights, and represent their interests if they have substantial difficulty doing so themselves.

People who work as independent advocates can:

  • Provide support for the person who lacks mental capacity or has substantial difficulty being fully involved
  • Represent the person without capacity in discussions about any proposed course of action or treatment
  • Provide information to inform what is in a person's best interest
  • Question or challenge decisions that are not in the best interests or need clarification for the person lacking capacity
  • Present the individual's views, wishes and interests to inform the decision maker for a 'Best Interest Decision' by the professional during the process
  • Access health and social care records to support and represent the person

Types of Advocates

West Northamptonshire Council commissions four different types of statutory advocates. These are:

How to Get an Advocate

If you need independent advocacy, you can refer yourself to POhWER using the forms below:

POhWER: Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA) Referral Form (MS Word 194KB)

POhWER: Independent Mental Health Advocate (IMHA) Referral Form (MS Word 182KB)

POhWER: Independent Health Complaints Advocate (IHCA) Referral Form (MS Word 179KB)

POhWER: Independent Care Act Advocate (ICAA) Referral Form (MS Word 193KB)

If you have any questions about these referral forms, please call POhWER on 0300 456 2370.

  • Brackley Area
  • Daventry Area
  • Northampton Area
  • Towcester Area
  • West Northamptonshire
  • Northamptonshire
Additional languages
Translation and/or Interpreting Available on Request
Age range
Suitable for ages from 18 years to 99 years
Referral route
  • Professional Referral
  • Self Referral
For people with
Special Educational Needs or a Disability (SEND)
Eligibility criteria
  • Age Range - Adulthood
  • Special Educational Needs or a Disability (SEND)
Provider category
Specialist Services - For those who require longer-term support

Publication on the Local Offer does not endorse a provider, so please take reasonable steps to ensure that any service found on the Local Offer is suitable for your family member. For more information, please read our disclaimer.

Last updated 07 May 2024