National Portage Association (NPA)
How to contact this service
Portage is a home-visiting educational service for preschool children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and their families.
The National Portage Association (NPA) is the umbrella organisation for Portage services, Portage practitioners, and parents. Portage Home Visitors are employed by local authorities and charities to support children and families within their local community. The NPA undertakes the following activities:
- Offering and reviewing a Code of Practice as a framework for delivering Portage.
- Supporting quality of service by providing standard training for Portage Home Visitors.
- Listening and responding to members individual or selective concerns at local, regional and national level.
- Encouraging new developments in the delivery of Portage support.
- Developing a training curriculum that responds to the training needs of parents, Portage services, and professionals associated with the Portage Model.
- Working collaboratively with other organisations dedicated to supporting families and young children.
- Campaigning for all families with a young child with additional support needs to have early access to Portage.
- Keeping members informed about Portage via a regular journal, local study days, and an annual conference.
The National Portage Association (NPA) runs training courses and workshops. You do not need to be a member of the NPA to attend, but if you wish to join, annual membership currently costs £35 a year.
Please note: In Northamptonshire, Portage services are provided by the SEND Support Service (SSS).
- National Organisation
- Age range
- Suitable for ages from 0 to 99 years
- Referral Route
- No Referral Needed
- Type of Service
- Advice and Information Services
- Eligibility Criteria
- Open to Everyone
- Provider Category
- Specialist Services - For those who require longer-term support
- Targeted Services - Additional Support Needs
- Special Needs
- Special Educational Needs or a Disability (SEND)
Publication on the Local Offer does not endorse a provider, so please take reasonable steps to ensure that any service found on the Local Offer is suitable for your family member. For more information please read our disclaimer.
Last updated 02 May 2023