Delayed Entry to Primary School for Summer Born Children - WNC
How to contact this service
The School Admissions Code allows parents and carers of summer born children (born between 1 April and 31 August) to delay their child's entry to school by a full year so they start school when they reach compulsory school age.
The expectation is that these children will enter in Year 1 and join their normal age group as they move from Reception to Year 1. Parents and carers can however, request that their child is admitted out of their normal age group (into Reception in the September following their 5th birthday).
- School admission authorities are required to provide for the admission of all children in the September following their fourth birthday, but flexibilities exist for children whose parents do not feel they are ready to begin school before they reach compulsory school age.
- Where a parent requests their child is admitted out of their normal age group, the school’s admission authority is responsible for making the decision on which year group a child should be admitted to. They are required to make a decision on the basis of the circumstances of the case and in the best interests of the child concerned.
- There is no statutory barrier to children being admitted outside their normal age group, but parents do not have the right to insist that their child is admitted to a particular age group.
- West Northamptonshire
- Additional languages
- Translation and/or Interpreting Available on Request
- Age range
- Suitable for ages from 4 years to 5 years
- Referral Route
- No Referral Needed
- Type of Service
- Local Government Department
- Eligibility Criteria
- Open to Everyone
- Provider Category
- Universal Services - Suitable for Everyone
- Special Needs
- Suitable for Everyone
Publication on the Local Offer does not endorse a provider, so please take reasonable steps to ensure that any service found on the Local Offer is suitable for your family member. For more information please read our disclaimer.
Last updated 05 May 2023