Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Children's Rights Service - NCT

Children's Rights Service - NCT logo


If you are on a child protection plan, a child in need plan, or you have been or are in care, then the local authorities have a responsibility to make sure your rights are respected and you are treated fairly.

NCT's Children's Rights team make sure you receive help and advice face-to-face, over the phone, or by letter. They can attend meetings with you, or support you when you make a complaint.

Advocates - making sure your feelings are heard

An advocate is like a messenger who speaks for you on your behalf. They can support you to ensure your views and feelings are heard when decisions are being made about your life.

Your advocate can support you to:

  • ensure your views and feelings are heard when decisions are being made about your life
  • make a complaint, give information and advice about rights and attend meetings, reviews and assessments with you
  • talk to professionals if you feel a bit shy or unsure about what you want to say

If you have a Northamptonshire social worker or you are a care leaver, you can contact NCT to request an advocate.

Independent visitors - someone to spend time with you

An independent visitor is a volunteer who will spend time with just you on a regular basis.

They are somebody that you go out with, to do fun things, have a chat, try new activities, or just chill with.

Before you start to see your independent visitor, we will make sure they are good, safe people. We try to find someone who has lots in common with you such as hobbies and interests. You get to decide if it is the right independent visitor for you.

If you are on a full care order and do not have much family time and it is supervised you can request an Independent Visitor for yourself.

All young people in care have the right to an independent visitor.

To request an independent visitor use this online form: Contact Children's Rights (Link).

The Care Leavers' Charter

The Care Leavers’ Charter sets out a list of promises care leavers want central and local government to make. The principles should be referred to when making decisions about young people's lives. It is agreed each year by councils.

Get involved and have your say

​The participation service offers advice and activities for children and young people aged 12 to 25 that are in care, leaving care, or have Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).

  • Brackley Area
  • Corby Area
  • Daventry Area
  • East Northants Area
  • Kettering Area
  • Northampton Area
  • Towcester Area
  • Wellingborough Area
  • North Northamptonshire
  • West Northamptonshire
  • Northamptonshire
Additional languages
Translation and/or Interpreting Available on Request
Age range
Suitable for ages from 0 to 24 years and 11 months
Referral route
  • Professional Referral
  • Self Referral
For people with
Suitable for Everyone
Eligibility criteria
  • Age Range - School
  • Age Range - Early Years
  • Age Range - Adulthood
Provider category
Specialist Services - For those who require longer-term support


c/o The Northamptonshire Children's Trust, One Angel Square, Angel Street
United Kingdom


Publication on the Local Offer does not endorse a provider, so please take reasonable steps to ensure that any service found on the Local Offer is suitable for your family member. For more information, please read our disclaimer.

Last updated 21 March 2024