During elections, candidates and political parties are subject to limits on their spending.
All candidates at an election have to submit a Declaration and Return of Expenses to the Returning Officer within a statutory timescale. This is regardless of whether they were elected and even if there was no spending.
These documents are then made available for inspection for the following statutory periods:
- UK General Election: 2 years from receipt (public notice must be given in 2 or more local newspapers)
- PFCC election: 2 years from receipt
- District elections: 2 years from receipt
- Parish elections: 1 year from receipt
With the exception of the PFCC election, expenses can be inspected, by appointment only, at either:
- West Northamptonshire Council, Lodge Road, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11 4FP
- West Northamptonshire Council, The Guildhall, St Giles Square, Northampton, NN1 1DE
Depending on which candidate expenses you wish to inspect.
Please contact [email protected] to book an appointment to inspect the expenses returns.
For the PFCC election the expenses will held by the Police Area Returning Officer for those elections, who is based at North Northamptonshire. In order to inspect these expenses please contact call 0300 126 3000.
Last updated 27 January 2023