Getting help with Council Tax
Set up an arrangement
If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax bill, contact us straight away. Don't let the problem get worse.
In some instances, we can set up a reasonable arrangement to get you back on track and potentially stop further recovery action. This may mean you need to make a payment upfront but we will look at your individual circumstances.
Reduce your bill
Are you on a very low income? It may be worth checking a Benefits Calculator to see if you can claim Council Tax Support to reduce your bill.
Make sure that you're receiving any discounts or exemptions that you may be entitled to. Visit our Council Tax reduction page.
Get help with your debts
If you are experiencing high levels of debt in other areas including your Council Tax, rent, utilities and other creditors, there are various organisations that could help you. They offer a variety of services including budgeting, arrangements, grants and debt consolidation.
Organisations that could help include:
- Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) - The Council works closely with the CAB and makes every effort to signpost customers who may require their assistance. CAB is available for free, independent advice on financial matters. Customers can visit the CAB at 6 Mercers Row, Northampton NN1 2QL, make an appointment by calling them directly.
Phone: 03444 889 629
- Debtline - this is a free helpline for people with debt problems.
Phone: 0800 808 4000
- Advice UK - you can contact independent advice agencies through Advice UK at:
Phone: 020 7407 4070
- StepChange - they give a free, confidential service to help you work out realistic solutions to your debt problems, avoid becoming bankrupt and learn how to manage your money.
Phone: 0800 138 1111
- Community Law - this organisation can help offer advice on debt, benefits and housing.
Phone: 01604 621038
Last updated 07 September 2022