Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

You may have seen in the media that some local authorities are issuing an additional £65 as part of the council tax reduction (CTR).

Each Local Authority has the decision on how to spend the Household Support Fund to best meet the needs of their communities.

West Northamptonshire Council have opted to use these funds in areas such as the Free School Meals holiday food vouchers, warm spaces and food banks.

Therefore, the recent media reference to the additional £65 is not applicable within West Northamptonshire. You can find out more about accessing the support and funding that is available via the information below or by calling our team on 0300 126 7000.

Council Tax Reduction is financial help towards paying Council Tax. You can claim Council Tax Reduction if you are already claiming other benefits such as Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support or Universal Credit. You may also claim it if you are working but on low income.

Find out if you qualify

To qualify for Council Tax Reduction, you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • be on a low income
  • be the person(s) liable for paying the Council Tax

Considerations include:

  • the money you and your partner have coming in (earnings, some benefits, tax credits and occupational pensions)
  • your savings and those of your partner
  • your circumstances (age, the ages and size of your family, any disabilities and whether anyone who lives with you could help with your council tax)

You will normally not qualify if you have savings or investments of more than £16,000. If you are not sure about whether you qualify, it is always worth making a claim.

Apply for the scheme

  • Daventry - Download, fill in and return the documents below

Last updated 27 October 2023