Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Reporting fraud concerns

Fraud has been committed when someone does not tell the truth about their circumstances, withholds information or falsifies documentation for personal gain or to cause loss to others. It is a criminal offence.

If you suspect fraud has been committed, you should report it to the relevant body listed below.

  • Welfare benefits (people claiming benefits they are not entitled to): Benefit fraud should be reported to the Department for Work and Pensions. Telephone 0800 854 440
  • Cybercrime or scams (online or telephone scams): This should be reported to Action Fraud
  • Electoral (people using false records to vote twice or vote when they aren’t eligible): This should be reported to the police on their non-emergency number (101)
  • Tax fraud or avoidance (people avoiding the payment of tax): This includes VAT fraud, false claim for Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, Child Benefit or Tax Credit fraud. This should be reported to HMRC

Fraud you can report to us

  • Blue badge or Disabled parking permit misuse: This can include instances where a badge is being used by someone other than the badge holder and without the badge holder being present to avoid paying for parking. Ideally you will provide the badge number
  • Corporate: Contractors and suppliers or staff committing fraud. More information can be found in our Whistleblowing Policy
  • Council tax or business rates: This can include fraudulent claiming of discounts or relief
  • Grant fraud: This can include instances where an application has been made for a purpose, however the grant money has been spent for a different purpose to what it was intended, or false information was given to enable the application
  • Housing application fraud: This is where an applicant over exaggerates their circumstances or gives false information to gain access to the housing register and or temporary accommodation. This enables the fraudster to wrongfully jump ahead of genuine truthful applicants
  • Right to Buy application fraud: Where an applicant gives false information to gain a discount to buy their Council home and/ or if the applicant is no longer living at the property
  • Residents parking fraud: This can include instances where a permit is being used by someone not resident in the area the permit covers
  • Social care/ Personal budgets: this includes instances where someone is spending or charging for something they are not entitled to or have not done
  • Subletting: This is where a tenant rents out the council property to a third party often for profit. This deprives genuine people waiting for a property
  • Other fraud or wrongdoing: If the above categories do not fit your circumstances, please tell us what the fraud is. 

You can report your concerns regarding suspected fraud and corruption within or against West Northamptonshire Council by completing the form below.

Please provide as much information as you can to enable any investigation to be completed successfully. All information you provide will be treated in the strictest confidence.

You can remain anonymous, but it may help our investigation if we are able to call you back to ask further questions.

Last updated 20 December 2023