Early years pupil premium
What is the early years pupil premium?
The early years pupil premium (EYPP) is additional funding available for investment in improving outcomes for children. It is used to improve the facilities, equipment and learning experiences to benefit the growth and development of your child.
All children aged 3 and 4 who meet the eligibility criteria will benefit from the funding. It will be paid to the early years provider on an hourly rate basis, linked to claimed funded hours for eligible children.
The annual value for a 15-hour place over a full year will be just over £300 or 62p per hour.
Is my child eligible for early years pupil premium?
Your child may be eligible if they are 3 or 4 years old and receiving government-funded childcare entitlements in any Ofsted registered childcare provider and if you are in receipt of one or more of the benefits used to access eligibility for Free School Meals:
- Universal Credit
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income below £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid over 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
You also qualify if you:
- have been looked after by the Local Authority for at least one day
- were adopted from care in the Local Authority
- have left care through Special Guardianship; and subject to a Child Arrangement order setting out with whom the child is to live (formerly known as Residence Orders) in Northamptonshire
How can I check if my child qualifies for the early year’s pupil premium?
If you think your child qualifies for the early years pupil premium, please speak to your childcare provider.
The provider will submit your details with your permission, so they can put in a claim to find out if your child qualifies.
If EYPP is not paid to the provider, your early years provider can ask the Early Years Funding team to check eligibility as part of your child’s funding claim the following month.
Other sources of support
Read about childcare support available and what you are entitled to on the Government's Childcare Choices website.
Last updated 12 September 2023