Register of self-build and custom-build
What is self-build and custom-build?
Self-build and custom-build housing is housing built by individuals or groups for their own use, either by building the home on their own or by working with builders.
Self-build projects are defined as those where someone directly organises the design and construction of their own home. This covers a wide range of projects, including a traditional DIY self-build home to projects where the self-builder employs someone to build their home for them. Community-led projects can also be defined as self-build.
Custom-build homes are where you work with a developer as an individual or a group to help deliver your own home. The developer may help to find a plot, manage the construction and arrange the finance for your new home. This is more of a hands-off approach, but your home will be tailored to match your individual requirements.
More information about self-build and custom-build is available on the self-build portal.
The current shortened register can be seen below.
You may also find the National Custom and Self-build Association web site useful.
Why do we keep a register?
The Self-Build and Custom House Building Act 2015 places a duty on us to keep and have regard to a register of people who are interested in self-build or custom-build projects in the area. This register will help inform us of the level of demand for self-build and custom-build plots. The register consists of two parts: Part 1 and Part 2.
We are required to grant sufficient planning permissions to meet the demand on Part 1 of the register within three years.
What is the difference between Part 1 and Part 2?
Part 1 of the register is for individuals and associations who meet the local eligibility criteria.
Part 2 is for individuals or associations who wish to register an interest, but do not meet the local eligibility criteria.
Further information on the eligibility criteria can be found in the guidance notes.
What planning policies do we have on custom and self-build?
- Daventry Local Plan Part 2 was adopted in February 2020 and includes a policy requiring design codes for schemes at policy HO5
- South Northamptonshire Local Plan Part 2 was adopted in July 2020 and contains within it at Part 4.6 a section on Self and Custom-Build Development and a Policy (LH5) which supports the delivery of Self and Custom-Built Homes
- Northampton Local Plan Part 2 was adopted 23 March 2023 and includes Policy 14 which supports delivery of Self-build and custom build housing
How to apply for an entry in the register
Please complete the application form for individuals or associations. Please note a fee is payable, see Fees section below.
If you are applying as a couple or on behalf of a household, please select one member to represent the household and then apply as an individual.
To apply as an association, you will need to first appoint a lead contact, this person will be the point of contact on behalf of the association. In order for an application to be valid each member of the association must register their details individually on the association form.
The fee will be requested if your application has been accepted.
The fee to apply to enter the register is £22.00 per application for Part 1 and £11.00 per application for Part 2.
If you wish to remain on the Part 1 register for more than a year there will be a further fee of £22.00.
There is no fee to remain on Part 2.
For associations the fee will be applied to each entry on the application.
What happens once you have submitted your application?
Once we have received your completed form we will:
- Review your application within 28 days to ensure all the criteria for entry onto the register have been met. If further information is required, you will be contacted to enable this to be provided
- If the application is eligible, we will write to you to request payment as set out above
- Once payment has been received, we will make an entry on the register and let you know that this has been done in writing within 28 days of determining the application. If the application is from an association, we will only notify the lead contact as identified in the application
- If the application is not eligible, we will write to you to explain the reasons within 28 days of determining the application. If the application is from an association, we will only notify the lead contact as identified in the application.
How will we use the information provided?
In submitting the form above you are agreeing that we can use the data you provide to understand the demand for self-build and custom-build housing in accordance with our privacy notice.
The register will not be a public document, but we will publish headline data (for example overall number of individuals/groups registered, geographical areas of interest, type of housing sought) from it annually. Information published will contain no personal information.
At this stage you are not making any commitment – we are just trying to find out how much local demand there is for self-build housing.
In preparing this register we making no commitment to provide self-build or custom-build plots.
In submitting this form, you are agreeing that we can use the data you provide to understand the demand for custom-build and self-build housing.
Your remaining information as submitted will be used by us for strategic planning, information and statistical purposes only.
Monitoring of Register
We have a duty to grant sufficient planning permissions for custom and self build homes to meet the level of demand identified on the register. The level of demand must be met within three years. We monitor this on an annual basis, and produce a report setting out the level of demand and number of permissions granted.
Update or remove your entry on the self-build and custom-build register
If, in the future, you decide that you are no longer interested in self-build and custom build housing or you would like to update your details please tell the planning policy team in writing at [email protected] so we can update the register.
Last updated 01 September 2023