Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Appeal a parking penalty Charge Notice (PCN)

Before you appeal

We are unable to accept most challenges by telephone - please view our policy on reasonable adjustments at the bottom of this page.

Please do not make payment at this stage as payment is acceptance of liability. By paying you are admitting that the ticket was right and you will not be able to appeal once you have paid.

You must challenge each case individually by inputting each unique PCN number.

To appeal, you will need:

  • your vehicle registration number
  • the PCN number listed on your parking ticket

How to appeal


Use the Appeal a PCN button below. You can also see photographic evidence relating to your PCN. You can include jpeg attachments.

You should not use this link to email us about your PCN if:

  • you have received a response to your challenge
  • the Statutory Notices (the Notice to Owner, Charge Certificate and Order for Recovery) have already been served 
  • the case has already been transferred to Enforcement Agents

Write to us

Please provide as much information as you can to support your reasons why the PCN should be cancelled.

Your challenge may be rejected when the letter is received within 14 days of the date of the PCN issue. We will decide whether to re-offer the 14 day discount period. This is dependent upon the circumstances of the individual case.

While we endeavour to respond to all correspondence received within 14 days, this is not always possible. The discounted period is reset when a response is issued if it is not possible to respond within the 14 days. This is to ensure that the recipient of the PCN is not disadvantaged.

Please send your appeal to:

Parking Services
One Angel Square
Angel Street

There are specific grounds on which a representation can be made and details are given on the Notice to Owner.

Our Enforcement Protocol gives further details of representations and also mitigating circumstances.

When your representation is received, a Parking Investigation Officer who is employed by us will consider it. They will decide if there are grounds to cancel the PCN. You will be notified in writing of the decision. This must be done under the statutory guidance within 56 days of receipt of the representations. Our aim is to respond within 21 days.

If your representation is rejected we will advise you on how to appeal to a Parking Adjudicator. If you decide to make a formal representation the full amount is payable.

The registered keeper of a vehicle, who has made a formal representation which has been rejected, has the right to appeal to a Parking Adjudicator.

A Parking Adjudicator is an experienced lawyer and independent of the council. The decision of the Parking Adjudicator is final, and both you and the council must adhere to the decision made.

You can choose whether to have your appeal dealt with by telephone, post, or attendance to a personal hearing with the Parking Adjudicator.

You can find out more about a Parking Adjudicator by visiting the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website.

​Public authorities must take steps to remove the barriers faced due to disabilities when they carry out their work. The Equality Act 2010 calls this the duty to make reasonable adjustments.

We have a duty to make reasonable adjustments if:

  • you are disadvantaged by something because of your disability, and
  • it is reasonable to make the changes to remove the disadvantage

What is meant by 'reasonable'

Adjustments only have to be made if it's reasonable to do so. This depends on things like:

  • your disability
  • its practicality
  • if the change you ask for would overcome the disadvantage you and other disabled people experience
  • the size of the organisation
  • the resources it would require
  • the cost of making the changes
  • if any changes have already been made  

Penalty Charge Notices (parking PCN's)

We have a policy in place to request all challenges and representations in writing. However, we are aware that this is not always possible. If our officers feel that additional assistance is required, we will make reasonable adjustments where possible to suit your needs.

Examples of these reasonable adjustments include but not limited to:

  • a mutually convenient telephone appointment where you can dictate your challenge/representation to an officer
  • a pre-booked face-to-face meeting (in exceptional circumstances) at One Angel Square, Northampton where you can dictate your challenge or representation
  • 3rd party liaison acting on your behalf to discuss and deal with the case as your representative

Parking permits

There is an application or renewal process in place via this website or by post. However, we are aware that this does not suit everybody. If our officers feel that additional assistance is required, we will look to make reasonable adjustments to help you.

Examples of these reasonable adjustments include but are not limited to:

  • a mutually convenient telephone appointment where you can make your application or renewal verbally. However, the call may need to be recorded depending on your disability. The recording may need to act as your signature confirming that you agree to the terms and conditions of the scheme
  • a pre-booked face-to-face meeting at One Angel Square, Northampton where you can apply/renew in person. If you are unable to provide a signature, your usual mark will need to be witnessed. This will act as your acceptance of the terms and conditions of the scheme
  • 3rd party liaison acting on your behalf to apply or renew your permit as your representative. We would agree a way of arranging for the terms and conditions to be signed by you as acceptance

We will cover the costs of all reasonable adjustments.

Refusing a request for reasonable adjustments

If we reject your request for an adjustment to be made, we will explain this decision to you. We will explain the factors that have been taken into account. We may also suggest alternatives which will be given the same level of consideration as the original request.

Why information is on a different website
We are in the process of adding information to this new unitary council website. Some pages will give you a link back to a previous council website to help you find what you need. Read more about the council changes.

Last updated 19 December 2022