Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Roadworks permit scheme

We can choose to:

  • grant a permit
  • apply conditions to a granted permit; or
  • decline permission to work within the highway

Using these powers, not available under existing schemes, we can improve the management of all the works on the road network within West Northamptonshire and reduce unnecessary disruption to all road users.

​If you need to undertake emergency works (that is if the current situation presents a danger to life or property unless remedied) that will require the road be closed, then you need to request an emergency closure. This follows the same procedure as above, but must first call the Regulations Team on 01604 651072 to inform them of it, and submit the application within 2 hours of closing the road and commencing works. The cost for an emergency closure is £1035.00.

We will need to know:

  • who they work for
  • location of works
  • works reference number
  • any traffic management being used

Section 50 licences

A licence under Section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 is required for the installation of private apparatus within the public highway. This typically means service connections for new build properties that will be adopted by the relevant utility company upon being actually connected to their network, but also covers such things as cable ducting for CCTV cameras and rainwater channels for residential areas.

How to apply

  1. Request the application from the regulations team by email to [email protected]
  2. Complete the form and return it, along with all the documentation detailed in the guidance notes, by email to [email protected] or by post to
    Highway Regulations Team
    West Northamptonshire Council
    The Guildhall
    St Giles Square
    NN1 1DE
  3. Your application should be acknowledged by receipt of email. If there is any documentation missing from it this should also be raised at this time; please note that without all required information the application cannot be processed

There is a charge for these licences – it will typically be £740.00 (inc. VAT – zero-rated), but can be more if the job is particularly large in scope. As a result of the global pandemic payment is normally taken by card (for which you should apply a number that can be contacted during office hours to organise), but we can also take payment by cheque or postal order. In this case it should be made out to West Northamptonshire Council.

Apply for a Street Works closure

If you wish to undertake works within the public highway of a type that would not leave sufficient space to allow traffic to safely pass and repass, then it will be necessary for you to close the road, for which you will need to apply for a closure order.

How do I request a Street Works closure?

Please follow the steps below. Be aware that you should provide at least three calendar months of prior notice to give us time to undertake the necessary procedures, including advance newspaper advertisements.

How to apply:

  1. Request the application from the regulations team by email to [email protected]
  2. Complete the form, then return it to [email protected] along with all other necessary documentation, as detailed in the included guidance notes
  3. Your application will be acknowledged by return of email
  4. If your application is successful, you will receive a copy of the order for the closure

Once issued the closure order remains valid for 18 months, for the works it was requested for only. There is a charge of £2200.00 (inc. VAT – zero-rated), which we can accept either by card or invoice.

For all other permit enquires please contact [email protected]

Last updated 25 September 2023