Download the App
Can’t remember what bins to put out each week? Set reminders, check what goes in each bin, and keep up-to-date with the latest Council news on our app - available to all residents across West Northants. Download to stay up to date from iOS App Store or Google Play.
How to recycle your food waste
Food waste is collected weekly using 2 caddies (bins):
- one small indoor caddy to store your waste
- one larger lockable bin which should be put out for collection
When the small caddy is full, transfer to the bigger bin and store outside, locked. Please keep the outdoor bin locked and away from pets and children.
You can line the small caddy with paper, compostable bags or plastic caddy liners. The council does not supply caddy liners, but they are available at most supermarkets, household and discount stores, and online.
Both of the bins are washable and the small caddies will fit in the dishwasher.
You can put in:
- any cooked leftovers
- meat and bones
- out of date or mouldy food - please remove any packaging
- tea bags and coffee grounds
- bread and cakes
- fruit and vegetables
- rice, pasta and beans
- eggs, cheese and yoghurts
Do not put in:
- any packaging - empty out all food
- plastic packaging
- liquids like milk or oil
Collection from flats
At the current time it isn't possible to provide a food waste collection service from flats.
In West Northamptonshire we recycle food waste using a process called anaerobic digestion.
During the process bacteria break down the organic matter into:
- a biogas, consisting mainly of methane, used to generate electricity and heat
- a digestate, a solid which can be used as an organic fertiliser by farmers
Last updated 24 April 2023