Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Disposing of household waste

Your household waste must be disposed of correctly. If you’re not disposing of it via your usual bins and giving it to someone else, you must make sure that they’re legally allowed to take it. 

Recommendations on social media groups like Facebook for someone to come and clear some rubbish often for cash have been linked to fly tipping in our towns, villages and countryside.

You could be fined if you give your household waste to someone who is not legally allowed to take it.

If you use an individual or private business that provides a waste collection service, you must check the company is on the Environment Agency’s register of waste carriers. You need to select ‘upper tier’. 

If you’re giving your waste to a scrap metal collector, you can also check that they’re on the register of scrap metal dealers

If you arrange for a charity to collect items, you must check the charity is on the register of waste carriers. You need to select ‘lower tier’. 

If you hire a tradesperson for construction or renovation work, any waste they produce is classed as business waste. Your tradesperson is responsible for removing the waste and disposing of it correctly. They can check what they need to do online.

For more information, please contact us at [email protected].

Last updated 05 June 2024