Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

School admissions arrangements for children with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

If your child has an education, health and care (EHC) plan there is a separate process for your child's school admission. Please read the information regarding the Education, Health and Care plans consultation process.

For further information on the consultation process and education arrangements for your child please contact your EHC caseworker or EHC officer.

Education, health and care statutory needs assessment in progress

Primary school applications

  • If your child has an education, health and care statutory needs assessment in progress you will need to complete a preference form and apply for a primary school place in the usual way.
  • If you think that your child has special needs and they are not currently attending an early years setting please contact the SEND Information ;Advice and Support Service for West Northamptonshire. A member of staff will put you in contact with one of the Early Years Support Teachers who will be able to assist you.
  • If your child has special needs and they are attending an early years setting, please discuss your child’s school place with the named Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO). The head teacher or teacher-in-charge or manager of the early years setting will be able to let you know who this is and how to contact them.

Secondary school applications

Schools that have SEND provision

You can use the Local Offer website for detailed information about SEN support in Northamptonshire's schools, including who the SENCO is, the school's SEN policy, and those schools that have a SEND provision or offer specialist support.

Alternatively, you can search for schools in your area using the schools directory.

School help

Schools will try to make adjustments to accommodate children who have special educational needs but not all schools are accessible for children who have mobility or sensory difficulties. You can find schools that have been identified in the Accessibility Strategy plan on the Local Offer.

We advise parents to discuss their children’s special educational needs with a member of staff at their preferred school before applying.

EHC plan

In each school's oversubscription admissions criteria, reference is made to 'pupils who have a statement of special educational needs'. As the legislation changes, this will also mean any pupils with education, health and care (EHC) plans.

Last updated 21 December 2023