Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Advice for potential sponsors

Through the Homes for Ukraine scheme, Ukrainians forced to flee their homes are matched to people and organisations in the UK.

How to apply

You can apply to be a sponsor if you can provide a home or spare room rent-free for as long as you're able, with a minimum stay of 6 months.

Visit Gov.UK to register your interest in becoming a sponsor.

If you're confirmed as a sponsor and host a Ukrainian household in your home, you'll receive £550 per month. Council tax discounts will not be affected.

Ukrainians arriving in the UK under this scheme will be granted 3 years leave to remain, with entitlement to work and access to benefits and public services.

What will be expected of you

The first place to look for information is the Homes for Ukraine FAQs on the Government website.

As a sponsor you'll be expected to offer space in your house or some other self-contained accommodation that you own for Ukrainian refugees to occupy, free of charge for at least 6 months, and ideally for up to 12 months.

You do not need to feed or shop for them, but you may wish to do so and you should think about whether you're able to help with things in your local community like registering with a GP.

The Council will also provide help and support to your guests with things like:

  • access to mental health services
  • medical services
  • school places for children
  • help to make claims for Universal Credit and accessing Job Centres
  • further education and training for work

What happens after you've been matched

The Council will be notified that the application has been made and will contact you to arrange a visit to check your property is suitable and there are no safety or safeguarding concerns.

You and every adult in your household will be subject to DBS checks; where there are children or vulnerable adults coming to stay with you, every adult in your household will be subject to an enhanced DBS with barred lists check.

Ideally all of these checks will happen pre-arrival, but the Council (and the Government) recognise that this will not always be practically possible.

Suitability of rooms

If you go ahead with the process and get to the point of making a visa application, the Council will come out to visit your property – ideally before anyone moves in.

As a starting point you should think about whether:

  • you have the space - you can’t offer one bedroom for a family of 4, for example
  • your home is clean, dry and secure
  • you have enough sleeping space and access to bathroom and cooking facilities
  • there is anything in the property that would mean it is either too warm or too cold
  • there is any mould, asbestos or other hazardous substances

Transport in rural areas

If you live in a rural area, you should think carefully about what you are taking on.

The people who come to live with you will have no transport and limited money to be able to pay for taxi fares.

You should think about whether you live on a main bus route that allows access to services and shopping.

Find out more about bus routes and concessionary fares.

Last updated 09 January 2024