Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Convert a civil partnership to a marriage

Existing same sex civil partners can convert their civil partnership into a marriage. You cannot convert an opposite-sex civil partnership to a marriage.

How to convert your civil partnership

Both parties will need to attend an appointment at your local registration office with a registrar. You will complete and sign a legal document called ‘the civil partnership conversion declaration’.

You can attend any register office in England and Wales for this process - it doesn't have to be the place where the civil partnership was formed.

Find out more about registration offices in West Northamptonshire.

We will ask to see original documents that show your:

  • names and ages - passport or birth certificate, along with any name change documents
  • address - Council Tax bill, bank statement or photo ID UK driving licence

We will also ask to see your existing civil partnership certificate.


The current fee is £45, subject to change by the government.

How to apply

To apply for a civil partnership conversion in a registration office, complete the form below. We aim to contact you within 10 working days to make the arrangements.

Celebrate your conversion to marriage

We are happy to arrange a civil partnership conversion ceremony. This would take place after the civil partnership has been converted. There is an additional fee for the ceremony.

Alternatively, you can choose to convert the civil partnership using a 2 stage option. In this case, all of the documentation is checked at an appointment with a registrar but the signing of the legal document takes place at a separate ceremony. This will follow the same format as our other ceremonies – we offer guidance on how to plan your wedding ceremony.

There would be an additional fee for the ceremony element of the conversion. If you choose this option, the marriage certificates would not be available until the full conversion process has been completed, i.e. once the vows have been taken.

How to book a conversion ceremony

To enquire about a civil partnership conversion using either of the options above, please contact Northamptonshire Registration Service.

Last updated 23 February 2024