Local land charges
When you buy a house or land your solicitor will usually go through a number of checks to make sure there are no problems that would restrict use or could result in a charge being directed at you as the owner of the property.
As part of one of these checks it is common practice to have a local land charges search undertaken. Local authority searches are carried out by your solicitor on your behalf, as part of the Conveyancing process however, anyone can carry out what is known as a Personal search but this is restricted to the search of only the land charges register.
Depending on what questions have been asked, the local land charges search will, among other things, identify:
- the planning history of the site
- any planning policies which affect the site
- environmental issues affecting the site (for example, flood plains and radon gas areas)
- building regulations
- status of the abutting highway/road
How to submit requests
Email search request forms (LLC1 and CON29R) to:
Payment is accepted by BACS details or by Debit or Credit card. Please email the relevant area above for details.
We are currently working within 10 working days turnaround times.
- LLC1 and CON29 2007 forms x2: The Law Society holds the copyright to form CON29
- Available from, Oyez Forms: OneAdvanced, LexisNexis Smart Forms, Peapod Legal Office
- Available from Shaw & Sons Ltd: FormEvo
- 2 copies of an up-to-date plan clearly showing the property extent
|Residential fee CON29R and LLC1
|Residential fee CON29R only
|Commercial fee CON29R and LLC1
|Commercial fee CON29R only
|Additional parcel CON29
|Additional parcel fee LLC1
|CON29O excluding Question 4 and 22
|CON29O Question 22
|CON29O Question 4
|CON29AE Own worded
All fees include VAT excluding LLC1 fees which are VAT exempt.
Personal search is a search of the public registers by a search company or an individual - this is restricted to a search of the register only and does not include CON29 information. Personal searches are free of charge.
How to request a personal search
We will require the following information
- Search address details, the locality, and the enquirer’s details including telephone number or email address. Please clearly state the locality for example; 10 High Street Northamptonshire, should specify which locality in Northamptonshire e.g. Towcester, Northampton, Daventry. etc
- Two up-to date plans. The extent of the property should be clearly marked to ensure the results are correct. The address details given should match the plan supplied. If plans are outdated or the search area is not clearly marked your search may be rejected. If you're unsure about the number of parcels please contact us.
Please email requests to:
You have the the right to access environmental information held by us, to do so see Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) requests.
For requests about
- Common land and town and village greens
- Public rights of way register
- Publicly adopted Highways
Please contact Northamptonshire Highways, One Angel Square, Angel Street, Northampton NN1 1ED or email [email protected].
Last updated 04 May 2023