Fixed penalty notices for environmental offences
We have a robust enforcement approach to anti-social behaviour of any kind and will issue fixed penalty notices (FPNs) to those committing environmental offences.
Environmental crimes can have a negative impact on the lives of others.
Measures have been introduced since the introduction of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 which allow us to fine anyone committing an environmental crime that damages the street scene.
Our enforcement officers or authorised officers appointed to act on our behalf regularly monitor areas to ensure that our streets are kept clean and safe. They can issue Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs) for a wide range of offences including
- dog fouling
- fly tipping
Fines range from £100 to £400 dependant on the offence.
Enquire about an FPN
We will accept enquiries about FPNs but please note that the following are not grounds for cancellation:
- you did not know the law and did not know it was being enforced
- this was the first time you committed the offence
- you believe the officer issuing the FPN was rude or did not behave appropriately (we will consider this a complaint, but the FPN will stand if issued correctly by law)
- there is no signage explaining the law
If you still wish to make an enquiry please email [email protected].
There are other types of environmental crime that we can take enforcement action against including
- Duty of care offences (traders and householders)
- Fly posting
Our officers are trained to carry out enforcement to promote our ambition for cleaner, greener and safer neighbourhoods.
Last updated 31 March 2023