Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Food business registration

Tell us about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food

If you run a food business, you must register the food establishment with us at least 28 days before the business starts trading or the food operations commence. This applies to any premises used for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food.

Premises include:

  • Restaurants
  • Pubs
  • Cafés
  • Hotels
  • Shops
  • Canteens
  • Care homes
  • Nurseries
  • Market stalls
  • Mobile catering vans
  • Food delivery vans

Following successful registration, you will receive confirmation with a reference number via email. Your business is then permitted to start trading.

A registered food business must ensure that we are notified promptly of any significant changes of the food activities and changes to the details previously supplied to us. A change of ownership or address will require a new registration.

If you use your home for a food business you must also register although specific requirements apply to child-minders .

Your premises may need approving by us or the Food Standards Agency if you supply other businesses with:

  • meat
  • dairy
  • fish
  • egg products

When registered, one of our officers will contact you to discuss how your food hygiene inspection will be carried out.

Advice is available for new businesses. We also provide a wide variety of training courses, including food hygiene training, more information on our Training courses page.

Email [email protected] if you need any advice. We are happy to provide guidance to help you meet legal requirements ensuring you gain the best possible rating from the start.

Food business register

We keep a register of food related businesses.

Please contact the Health and Environmental Protection team via email [email protected] or phone 0300 126 7000, Option 3.

Last updated 19 April 2023