CarKraft driving courses
CarKraft is an award-winning road safety initiative designed to reduce the number of people killed and seriously injured on Northamptonshire's roads.
The courses are tailored specifically to impart a dynamic mix of workshops and driving challenges, set within the inspirational British Grand Prix venue and the home of British Motor Racing - Silverstone Race Circuit. The CarKraft tutors represent some of the most highly qualified motoring professionals, offering many years’ experience in both motor racing and advanced driving techniques.
Who CarKraft is for
Originally designed for young qualified drivers aged between 17 to 24 years of age and pre drivers, it has become so successful that since 2012 CarKraft has evolved and expanded to include licence holders up to 30 years of age and young non-drivers aged 15.
Over 15,000 drivers have benefited since the CarKraft Driver Improvement Scheme was first introduced in 2001. This high volume scheme continues to be hugely popular and regularly over-subscribed.
Road user behaviour is responsible for or a major factor in 95% of collisions. We are therefore committed to delivering a life-long learning process for drivers in order to establish a road safety mindset.
Part classroom based and part practical, participants experience first-hand the perils of adverse road conditions by driving on Porsche's state of the art purpose built test facility.
Find out more about CarKraft.
Non drivers aged 15 years +
- Your first driving lesson with a qualified driving instructor and experience driving ‘under the effects of alcohol’
- Starting Off Workshop - find out what it takes to get your driving licence, how to find a qualified driving instructor and how to stay safe on the roads
Qualified drivers aged 17 to 30 years
- On-road assessment under the guidance of a highly trained Police Advanced Driver in cars provided by Volvo UK. You will drive on predetermined routes, comprising both motorway and rural roads. They will suggest advanced techniques for you to integrate into your driving, together with building skills of observation, anticipation and awareness to help make you a safer, more confident driver
- A safer driving workshop - this interactive session looks at dispelling many of the myths and misunderstandings around speed, drink/drug driving, mobile phones, seat belts/in car safety and attitudes towards other road users
- Skid control - you will explore car control under extreme road conditions on the state of the art Porsche Ice Hill and Kick Plate. You will also learn to understand how the car handles and how ABS (anti-lock brakes) work. You will also learn how to carry out simple and potentially lifesaving vehicle safety checks
Last updated 28 June 2022