Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

New hackney carriage and private hire driver licences

Tests and training

Before applying for a driver licence you need to complete the following tests and training.

English Test

You need to know basic English, including reading and writing, before you start. All new applicants must take a spoken English Test. This English test is provided by Pearson and is conducted remotely.

You must achieve a score of 43 or more to pass. This is the equivalent of Level B1 Spoken English. If you don't pass the spoken English test you will be able to retake the test at your own cost. If you fail that too, you can't apply for another test until 6 months have passed.

To request and pay for your English test please complete the form below. An officer will then set you up on the Pearson system within 3 working days.

Safeguarding, vulnerability, equality and diversity

Further to the Statutory Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Standards and the implementation of the new Taxi and Private Hire Policy from 1 April 2024 it will be a condition for all new and renewal driver licence applicants to undertake safeguarding and vulnerability training.

Safeguarding training

The safeguarding training is delivered by STC Safeguarding. There is a fee of £40.00 for this training. You will be required to attach your certificate for this training to your application for a new licence. The safeguarding certificate will be valid for a period of 3 months. All bookings and payments are made directly to the provider.

Vulnerability training

All new drivers are required to complete mandatory vulnerability training. The certificate for this training must be attached to your application for a new licence.

You are required to watch a short 15 minute video and then answer 9 questions.

Driving assessment

All driver applicants are required to pass an advanced driving test or tests with a council-approved provider and include evidence of test pass results with their application form.

All applicants (private hire, hackney carriage or dual) must pass a standard assessment. If you intend to drive a wheelchair-accessible vehicle, you'll need to also pass a wheelchair test. This may be offered as a separate test from the standard assessment or may be offered as a combined enhanced assessment by our approved providers.

Payment for tests must be made directly with the test provider. Please book your tests with one of the following:

The Licencing Sub-Committee or Officer may request an applicant/licensed driver to resit and pass the above tests should it be deemed necessary.

Last updated 03 April 2024