Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Re-use of public sector information

Public sector information is information produced by the Council as part of its public delivery of services.

The Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2015 (RPSI) allows everyone to ask for permission to reuse information for a different purpose from that originally intended.

Please read this page carefully before applying.

What the regulations mean

The Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2015 (RPSI) are about allowing you to reuse information and how we make that information available.

They are not used to provide information. Provision of information is dealt with under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOI) and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 (EIR).

These laws do not automatically give you the right to re-use the information.

How we will respond to your request

We will respond within 20 days from the date we receive your request. We will let you know if we need more time to respond to your request.

The response will provide the information requested, indicate where you can access it, tell you what the charge will be or let you know if we need more time to provide the information.

If we cannot provide the information, we will tell you why.If we need to make a charge for supplying the information because of the amount of work involved or the way it is supplied, we will advise you of the amount before we supply the information.

Information covered

All information that the council holds in any format within its 'public task' is covered by the regulations, except anything which we do not hold the copyright for, logos and insignia, personal data, anything else restricted by legislation and information which is not accessible.

The phrase 'public task' means our core responsibility and would exclude for example documents having a value-added or commercial nature.

Definition of re-use

Re-use means the use by a person or company of a document which the council holds, for a purpose other than the initial purpose for which it was produced. The transfer of documents from one public sector body to another in pursuit of their public task does not constitute re-use.

Check if you need to ask permission

You do not need to make a request under the RPSI regulations if the information is already available on our Transparency and Open Data or Publication Scheme pages, as we have provided that information under the Open Government Licence (OGL), which allows you to re-use the information. There is more information about the OGL below.

Open Government Licence

Unless otherwise stated, West Northamptonshire Council owns the copyright of all material affected by the RPSI regulations.

Where we provide it to you under the Open Government Licence (OGL) you:

  • may copy, distribute and display the material, and where appropriate perform it, adapt it to your needs and make commercial use of it
  • must give the original author credit, make the information freely available, and clearly and visibly state the date you obtained the information from us - it must be completely clear to anyone obtaining the information that it has come from West Northamptonshire Council

If you charge additional costs to make this information available to a third party, make it clear that the information is freely available on request from the West Northamptonshire Council.

The Council reserves the right to issue a one-off reuse licence for specific purposes such as for use in a publication, as part of a report or not for profit use.

The use of the Council’s name and logo is not permitted without specific prior written agreement from the Council.

You can email [email protected] or use the form at the top of this page if you need to clarify if a specific reuse licence in required.


If you are unhappy with our response, you have the right to complain. Your complaint must be in writing and say which aspects(s) of the regulations are at issue.

You must supply your full contact details and say what you would like us to do to resolve the issue.

We will handle your complaint within the terms of our Complaints Policy. If your complaint is not resolved through this process, you may escalate it to the Information Commissioner's Office.

More information about the Open Government Licence is available on the National Archives website.

Last updated 19 December 2023