Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

No recourse to public funds (NRPF)

No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF) is a condition imposed on someone’s immigration status under section 115 Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.

This states that a person has ‘no recourse to public funds’ if they are ‘subject to immigration control’. 

Individuals with NRPF have no entitlement to:

  • certain welfare benefits
  • homelessness assistance
  • an allocation of social housing through the council register

When a person has leave to enter or leave to remain that is subject to the NRPF condition, the term 'no public funds' will be stated on their residence permit, entry clearance vignette or biometric residence permit.

Who can apply for support

The 3 main groups who can apply for assistance from us are:

  • families who are destitute or who are at risk of being destitute - this includes families experiencing homelessness or struggling to meet their family’s essential needs
  • single adults with care needs - this includes adults with complex needs who require care and support due to a disability
  • young people leaving care

How to request support

You can request an assessment of your social care needs under the Care Act 2014 to confirm eligibility for support.

Prior to this being undertaken, we will contact the Home Office to confirm and verify your legal status in the country and we will need to view your current immigration documentation. 

Some people can only receive support if that is necessary to prevent a breach of their human rights, so an additional assessment may be carried out under the Human Rights Act to establish this. 

There are some exclusions where the local authority cannot provide support. In these cases, we will provide information and guidance to enable you to navigate and contact the most appropriate agency for support.

We will determine which team is best placed to support you - for example, it may be the children's social care department or the adult social care department.

How to contact us

Contact us by:

Useful links

Last updated 13 November 2023