Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

​Petroleum storage

Our Trading Standards team is the petroleum enforcing authority (PEA) for West Northamptonshire. We make sure that people and companies who keep and dispense petrol do not cause risk to the public or the environment.

The Petroleum Storage Certificate (PSC) replaced the previous petroleum licensing system in 2014. If a petroleum licence has an expiry date after 1 October 2014, it is a PSC under the current regulations.

We issue a new certificate when a license expires. A certificate is for the premises where petrol is stored and dispensed and not a person or company. Certificates do not have an expiry date. They apply until major changes take place (for example fuel tanks, quantities changed) or if the site does not operate for more than 12 months.

If you are the keeper of the fuel, you must pay an annual fee set by Health and Safety Fees regulations. The amount you pay depends on the maximum litres of petrol stored at the premises. You can pay up to 10 years in advance.

Domestic and non-workplace storage

Petrol is highly flammable, explosive and toxic and there are laws that you need to follow if you are storing it in domestic and non-workplace settings where it is kept for private use.

A person may keep up to 30 litres of petrol in suitable portable containers or in a single demountable fuel tank in a suitable storage place.

A person keeping over 30 litres and less than 275 litres must notify the authority in writing with the name of the occupier, address of the premises and confirmation that the petrol is stored in accordance with regulations.

A person keeping more than 275 litres will require a licence. Licences may be issued for up to three years and subsequently renewed. They are issued to the licensee personally and are not transferable.

Last updated 20 March 2024