Bulky waste collection
We offer a bulky waste collection service so unwanted large household items can be collected from outside your home.
This is a paid-for, non-refundable service, costing:
- £30 for up to 3 items
- £50 for 4 to 6 items
Some items will be classed as 3 items even if they are part of a bigger item.
- a 3 piece suite equates to 3 items
- a bedstead and mattress equates to 2 items
- a divan bed base, mattress and headboard equates to 3 items
When we collect items
The date of collection will be arranged upon booking.
The items for collection must be at the kerbside of the property by 6:30am on the arranged collection day.
Collections are undertaken by one of the council’s partners or council staff dependent on the location of the property.
- Animal hutch/cage - clean
- Baby changing unit
- Baby cot
- Baby bath
- Basketball hoop - dismantled
- Bed base
- Bed frame
- Bedside cabinet
- Bird table
- Carpet (Rolled, 4ft/120cm rolls) - 1 roll is 1 item, if not rolled it will not be collected
- Carpet underlay (Rolled, 4ft/120cm rolls) - 1 roll is 1 item, if not rolled it will not be collected
- Chair - dining room, 4 chairs are 1 item
- Chair - office, arm, rocking, recliner, mobility, gaming
- Chest of drawers
- Climbing frame - dismantled
- Clothes airer/rack
- Coffee table
- Computer monitor
- Cooker - not aga/range
- Curtain rail
- Dressing table
- Exercise bike
- Filing Cabinet
- Fire - gas, electric, portable
- Fire Surround
- Fridge/Freezer (domestic) - clean and empty
- Garden bench/swing seat - dismantled
- Garden chairs (set), 4 chairs are 1 item
- Garden roller
- Garden table
- Gym equipment
- Heater - gas, electric, portable
- Ironing board
- Ladder including step
- Laundry basket
- Lawnmower - electric, manual (not petrol)
- Organ including electric - only in South Northamptonshire
- Parasol and stand
- Piano including electric - only in South Northamptonshire
- Pressure washer
- Rowing machine
- Rugs - rolled
- Satellite dish - only in South Northamptonshire
- Sewing machine
- Shelving unit
- Slide - dismantled
- Snooker table - not full size
- Sofa/sofa bed
- Standard lamp
- Stereo/Hi fi including speakers
- Stool including footstool
- Strimmer - non-petrol
- Sun lounger
- Trampoline - dismantled
- Trolley - not shopping
- TV and TV stand
- Vacuum cleaner/hoover
- Washing line - rotary
- Washing machine
- Water butt
- Wheelchair/walking frame
- Asbestos - see hazardous waste
- Aga/Range cookers
- Aerials/satellite dish - Daventry and Northampton
- Bathroom suites/sanitary wear including toilets and cisterns
- Boxed items (cardboard)
- Car, car parts and tyres
- Chemicals/corrosive materials
- Commercial fridge/freezers
- Electrical fitting
- Fence panels and gates
- Garage doors
- Garden ponds
- Garden waste, bagged or loose
- Gas bottles and canisters
- Kitchen sinks/units
- Lawnmower/strimmer - petrol
- Mobility scooter
- Organ - Daventry and Northampton
- Piano - Daventry and Northampton
- Radiators/storage heaters
- Water tanks
- Wood pieces
What to do with items such as sofas, armchairs and padded chairs.
By law, upholstered items such as sofas, armchairs and padded chairs now need to be collected separately. This means they may be collected on a different day to other items on your bulky collection.
Please do not break up upholstered items - they need to be intact.
Reusing or disposing of bulky items yourself
Before booking a collection, if the items are in good condition consider if they can be reused. If they can, where possible please take to one of the Household Waste Recycling Centres where it will be assessed for reuse. Items removed from the recycling centres are resold at one of West Northamptonshire’s reuse shops.
If you cannot take your reusable items to a recycling centre, there are other options before booking a bulky waste collection. There are charities that collect certain items for reuse and sale within the community, you could offer them for sale online or for free using Freegle or Freecycle. More information can be found on the Reuse page.
Book and pay for collection
Before booking your collection, please make sure we can collect your bulky waste items, as we cannot offer refunds once you have paid for a collection.
Please call us on 0300 126 7000 to arrange a collection in the Daventry area.
You can also call 0300 126 7000 to book a collection in both areas.
Paying for collection
You can pay by credit/debit card or cheque.
Cheques can take longer to process. We cannot book your bulky waste collection or reserve a collection date until we have received your cheque.
All cheques must include your name, address and contact details so we can contact you to book your collection. Cheques are to be made payable to West Northamptonshire Council and sent to the following address: West Northamptonshire Council, Income and Payables, 2nd Floor One Angel Square, Northampton, NN1 1ED.
We do not accept cash or postal orders.
- will be collected on the arranged collection day (in rare circumstances, we may collect items the next working day)
- must be as near to the kerbside as possible by 6:30am on the collection day
- collection location will be agreed upon booking
- cannot be collected from inside properties
- must be left in a bin store if you live in a block of flats
- must be emptied and cleaned before they can be collected
- must be booked accurately - any additional item left or items not as described on the booking form will not be taken
- may be recycled, reused or disposed of at our discretion
Please do not block any footpath or highway when presenting your items.
You must tell us of any changes to the booked items at least 2 working days before collection.
If your items are not collected you must tell us within 48 hours of the collection day.
Neither West Northamptonshire Council, West Northamptonshire Norse or Veolia shall be liable for any incident, damage or accident, however caused, arising from the exercise of the council, West Northamptonshire Norse, Veolia or any other organisation working on their behalf, through its officers, workmen or agents, of the rights and obligations hereby granted.
Disposing of bulky items
If you want to dispose of bulky items yourself, most of them can be taken to one of our Household Waste Recycling Centres.
Last updated 19 October 2023