Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Financial support for care experienced young people

There are many ways you can access financial support.

Cost of living

Our cost of living support pages have general advice as well as more specific advice depending on your scenario.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment from the Government. It can help with your living costs if you are either:

  • working and on a low income
  • looking for work
  • unable to work

You can apply for Universal Credit online.

Find out about other benefits the Government provides.

Help paying council tax

If you are up to 21, there is support available to help you pay council tax. This is called the ‘care leaver discount’.

You may be able to apply for Council Tax Reduction if you are on a low income and pay council tax.

If you are struggling to pay your council tax, you can apply for a Council Tax Hardship payment. You must apply for other types of Council Tax reduction before you apply.

There are also council tax disregards, which, if you qualify, mean you do not have to pay council tax.

Monthly drop-in sessions

At our monthly drop-in sessions, you can talk to a Customer Service Advisor about a range of council services. They can offer advice and information and can guide you through accessing the services you need.

They are hosted at various locations around West Northamptonshire.

Find out more about our monthly drop-in sessions.

Charities and further support

Shelter England are a charity that can help if you have a housing problem.

They also offer housing help for care leavers.

The Rees Foundation offers lifelong support for care leavers.

You can find all types of support including:

  • careers support
  • financial support
  • housing support

Last updated 13 June 2024