Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Premises licence or club premises certificate


Licensable activities include:

  • selling alcohol
  • serving hot food and drinks between 11pm and 5am

You’ll also need a licence if you provide the following types of entertainment:

  • theatrical performance
  • showing a film
  • indoor sporting event
  • boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor)
  • live music
  • recorded music
  • dance
  • facilities for making music
  • dancing facilities

You still need a licence even if the activities are for charity.


You don’t need a licence for some types of entertainment, including:

  • educational or promotional films
  • films shown as part of an exhibition in a museum or gallery
  • incidental music (live or recorded)

Please read the current section 182 guidance for more information on exemptions.


You must be 18 or over to apply for a premises licence.


You must be, or appoint, a designated premises supervisor (DPS) when you apply for a licence. A DPS must have a personal licence to sell alcohol.

There may be other conditions added to your licence, eg having an age-checking policy if you sell alcohol.


Some premises licence application fees are determined by the Non-domestic rateable value of the premises. The Non-domestic rateable value (NDRV) of any premises can be checked on the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). NDRV is revalued every 5 years. Premises that do not have a non-domestic rateable value are treated as falling into Band A for licensing fee purposes.

No refund is payable for any withdrawn, refused or rejected applications/notifications.

In accordance with the Licensing Act 2003, the full fee is refundable for minor variations only, if we fail to determine the application within the statutory time period.

Apply, renew or vary a licence

You will be prompted to create an account before you complete these forms. This is to enable to you to be able to save progress through the form and complete it at a later date if you wish.

You will need to notify us if you change your details or require a replacement licence

If you require a form not listed above please contact your local area who will provide you with a copy of the form and will be happy to accept the completed form via email:

Copyright licences

If you intend on playing recorded music in a public place you may need a Performing Rights Society licence. This is not something that is issued by us.

If you are showing films then you may also need a ‘non-theatrical’ film licence in addition to films being listed on your premises licence. For further information please see showing films in public.

Why information is on a different website
We are in the process of adding information to this new unitary council website. Some pages will give you a link back to a previous council website to help you find what you need. Read more about the council changes.

Last updated 17 August 2022