Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

A parent or carer of a child under 18 years old

What do you need help with?

  • #PovertyHurts: Northamptonshire Community Foundation are encouraging local residents that can afford to do so to donate all or part of their energy rebate to their #PovertyHurts appeal to help those who need it
  • Volunteer for food banks, larders, visiting elderly residents, buddy schemes, etc
  • Donate -  Food, clothing, money
  • Furniture reuse charity: Donate your unwanted furniture or household items you to support others at Northampton contact or Daventry contact
  • Love your clothes: Keep your clothes out of landfill and give to others
  • Libraries: get access to free resources
  • Support for carers: Northamptonshire Carers provides advice, support and a network for both paid and unpaid carers
  • Warm spaces: The network of Warm Spaces will offer different activities and/or options – from coffee mornings and signposting to support available, somewhere to socialise and grab a hot drink in the warm. Click on the link to find your nearest warm space
  • Good neighbours scheme: For those looking to receive support offered by friendly neighbours
  • The West Northamptonshire Poverty Truth Commission: Have your say and be involved in social change 

  • Childcare costs: The government website has lots of information and support available with childcare costs. Have a look at see what benefits or financial support you can get
  • Tax-Free Childcare: Tax-Free Childcare can pay for any approved childcare for children aged 11 or under, or 16 if the child has a disability. Working families, where each parent or carer earns up to £100,000, can use it, meaning for every £8 paid into an online account they will receive an additional £2 from the government. Whether children go to nursery, a childminder, attend breakfast, after school or holiday clubs, as well as out of school activities, Tax-Free Childcare could be used. See Tax-Free Childcare
  • To households with children – A £15 voucher will be distributed for February half term to families of children who receive free school meals. If eligible, vouchers will be received directly via schools

  • Council tax £150 energy rebate: If you live in a property which is within Council tax bands A to D in England you will receive £150  either via your bank account or credited to your Council tax bill
  • Council tax hardship relief: If you are experiencing exceptional financial hardship, then you may be able to claim some discretionary assistance with your Council Tax
  • Council tax reduction: You can claim Council Tax Reduction if you are already claiming other benefits such as Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support or Universal Credit. You may also claim it if you are working but on low income
  • Disability reductions: You may be able to get a reduction on your Council Tax bill if you, or an adult or child living with you, is permanently disabled
  • Care leaver discount: If you have been in the care of West Northamptonshire Council or North Northamptonshire Council (for instance you lived in a care home or foster care) and are leaving care you may be entitled to a reduction in Council Tax until you reach the age of 25

  • Contact the money advice service - The money advice service is available if you live or work in the South Northamptonshire area. It’s a free, independent and confidential service
  • National debtline: Freephone – 0808 808 4000
  • Community Law Service: The Community Law Service has a team of specialist debt advice caseworkers who can provide a full range of debt counselling, including liaising with creditors and advising on insolvency.  The Service is free, independent and confidential.  Call 01604 621038, email [email protected] or contact via the website
  • Commsave - The credit union is a not-for-profit financial co-operative, providing an easy way to save and a better way to borrow for over 30 years. They have variety of affordable banking options which includes to have savings automatically deducted from your salary.

  • Towfood: For £10 annual membership, there are two payment modules available (subscription/pay as you go), you can access groceries at heavily discounted rates in your local area. See locations of food larders in South Northants
  • Food Aid Alliance West Northants (FAAWN): If you need help for yourself, or want to refer someone for help, FAAWN provides a list of organisations and days / time where you can access food and support. View dates and times
  • Food banks: Find the closest foodbank to you
  • Healthy start: If you’re more than 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under 4, you may be entitled to get help to buy healthy food and milk
  • Help with free period products in the Daventry and surrounding area: (20+) A Bag for Flo | Facebook
  • Cooking Good have created lots of top tips on how you can create healthy shopping habits that will make your food go further whilst spending more wisely
  • Toogood to go – Starbucks, Co-op, Poppy fields Farm, One stop Duston, Spar, Ibis, Harvester, Toby, Greg’s – all offer food at a reduced price.  These can be goodie bags or a carvery meal for £3.99.
  • Olio - This is where households can put food that is close to ‘use by’ date and these are free for collection. Tesco also put items on there
  • Morrisons - ‘Ask for Ellen’ at any Morrisons’ café and receive a portion of two standard Warburton's crumpets, with butter and jam for free – no questions asked. Ask for Ellen runs from 17 July to 13 August and will be available to everyone, all day, every day. 

  • Many bus fares across West Northamptonshire will be reduced as part of the Government’s scheme to provide more affordable public transport. Operators including; Stagecoach and Uno are capping single fares at £2 until the end of October 2023.

Last updated 02 April 2024