Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

A first time homeowner

Congratulations on moving into your first home. While moving anytime is daunting, we understand that those first set of keys can be the most exciting and the most frightening. On this page you can find tips and advice that should help to ease that transition into a new home and make you feel welcomed in West Northamptonshire.

Moving checklist

Some things to consider after moving in to your new home include:

  • local schools, clubs and libraries 
  • utilities including water, gas and electric 
  • insurance companies including home and car 
  • health providers - GP surgery, optician, local vet and dentist
  • connection services - internet provider and any TV subscriptions

Council Tax

Council Tax is a tax paid on a household to your local authority (your Council). The amount paid is based on the estimated value of a property and how many people are living in it.

Council Tax helps to fund local services that your Council provide. Things like waste management, park maintenance, and libraries all benefit from these funds.

Find out more about Council Tax payments and check whether you're entitled to a Council Tax discount.

Change of address 

If you are moving in or out of the area it is important to let the relevant councils know your change of address. 

You can find information and relevant forms on our change of address page.

Getting advice

If you are a Northamptonshire Partnership Homes (NPH) tenant you can find help and support on the NPH website

NPH's services are free of charge to its tenants and include advice on managing your money, safeguarding, living independently and more. 

If you have recently moved into a new build, it may be worth checking what services the building company can provide for you. Often, they host events for first time movers to help you get settled.

If you’re confused about any forms or processes, you could come to one of our customer service drop-in sessions where our friendly customer service team can offer you support and advice.

If you are struggling with finances, childcare or the general cost of living, find cost of living support.

Local services

Check out our bins, recycling and waste page for information on:

  • your bin collection days
  • garden waste subscriptions 
  • how you can get your bulky waste (such as unwanted furniture, fridges and sofas) collected

Libraries are an integral local resource and can provide you with books, CDs, movies and internet as well as assist in applying for bus passes and blue badges. Discover libraries local to you.

If you are dealing with any issues in your environment such as noise pollution, air quality, pest control, fireworks or flooding, you can use our environmental health page for assistance.

You can keep on top of bin collections throughout the year by downloading the West Northamptonshire Council app through Google Play or the Apple app store. Find more information on bin collections, contents of bins, bulky waste collection and more through our Bin Collection Services page.


Universal Credit is an allowance paid by the government. If you are over the age of 18 and have found yourself out of work or on a low income, you are entitled to apply for Universal Credit. 

You can apply for Universal Credit online

You will need: 

  • your bank, building society or credit union account details
  • an email address
  • proof of identity, such as:
    • driving licence
    • passport
    • debit or credit card
    • payslip or P60

If you are eligible for Universal Credit, you can get help paying for your housing. This is called a 'housing payment'. It can be used in privately rented accommodation, in housing association and local authority properties, and even for some service charges on properties you own.  

If you are already receiving Universal Credit, you can apply for housing payments in your online account. You may then be asked to attend an interview at your closest Jobcentre Plus.

You won’t receive an allowance if you are in full-time education or are receiving other forms of benefits such as Income Support or Housing Benefits. 

In the next few years, Housing Benefits will be absorbed by Universal Credit. However, if you are in temporary accommodation you would still receive Housing Benefits from the Council rather than within your Universal Credit.

Last updated 02 April 2024