Skip to main contentAccessibility Statement

Aids, adaptations and equipment

Major adaptations

If you own your own home, privately rent or rent from a housing provider, you could make some changes to your home to help you manage everyday tasks and stay independent. This is often referred to as ‘home adaptations'.

If you live in a rented property, you may still be able to make these changes but you'll need your landlord's permission.

Major adaptations are works which cost more than £1,000.

Examples are:

  • wet floor showers
  • stairlifts
  • through floor lifts
  • medium and large-sized ramps
  • widening of doorways
  • kitchen adaptations

If you require major adaptations, which are works that cost more than £1,000, you can obtain an assessment from our Community Therapy team or call 0300 126 7000 (option 1, option 2, option 2).

Self-funding your adaptations

If you would like to make changes to your home and pay for them yourself, you can search for local tradespeople to quote for your adaptations on:

Other organisations that can help

Disabled Living Foundation: a non-profit national charity providing information and advice on daily living equipment for older adults and disabled people - visit the Living Made Easy website.

Scope: a disability equality charity that provides practical information and emotional support when it's most needed - read advice about getting home adaptations.

Royal College of Occupational Therapy: a charity promoting the work of the Occupational Therapy profession - read about home adaptations and the Care Act 2014.

Last updated 13 November 2023