Insurance privacy notice
1 Council Contact Details
1.1 West Northamptonshire Council
Number 1 Angel Square
2 Information that we hold
2.1 We currently collect and process the following information for
- Contact details – Name address, national insurance number information supplied by the claimant and or their representative
- Medical information to include medical notes and records and specialist medical reports
- Customer financial information
- Employee data
- Highways Information from contractor and internal systems
- Payment details of claimants including bank details
- genetic data
- data from West Northamptonshire suppliers and/or contractors and/or insurers but not exclusively so ie highways teams on reports to defend claims
- Information is supplied to insurers who may search fraud databases
- National Insurance numbers of claimants
- Social services reports from social services
- Police reports on accidents and any sensitive child abuse investigations
3 How the information is obtained
3.1 Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- For the purposes of dealing with insurance claims from external claimants, internal Claimants and/or departments and or for the provision of insurance to West Northamptonshire
The data is collected from various sources:
- Internal teams
- External bodies – our Lawyers and advisors, our insurers and external police ambulance witnesses to incidents and contractors- we communicate with senior officers within the council to include the press teams on sensitive matters financially and reputational for the purposes of defending insurance claims – all of our communications where a claim has been made is covered by legal attorney privilege
- Any information West Northamptonshire obtain in relation to investigation of an incident is not covered by attorney privilege – but will be created by their own DPA guidance within West Northamptonshire
- The data we use will be shared across a shared service function with Cambridgeshire County Council with employees in MKC, CCC and West Northamptonshire
3.2 There are a number of reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information. Generally, we collect and use personal information where:
- it is necessary to meet our legal obligations (state relevant legislation)
- you have made a claim against us
- you are insured with us
- it is required for the defense of legal cases and provision of insurance services across the council
- you, or your legal representative, have given us your consent
- you have made your information publicly available
- it is necessary for law enforcement reasons and to prevent, and detect fraud or crime
- it is necessary for archiving, research, or statistical purposes. For these purposes your data would be used in a pseudonymised format (name and other identifying information replaced with a unique number).
4 What we do with the information
4.1 We use the information that you have given us in order to defend your claims and to communicate with you, our insurers, our internal teams and any experts, including legal services we need to resolve your claim against us- and the operation of our insurance obligations for obtaining insurance for the Council.
4.2 We may share this information with Council employees and their contractors, our legal representatives, including your own legal representatives, internal and external experts including medical experts.
4.3 There is no automated decision.
4.4 We do not profile information unless it is undertaken for the purposes and detection of fraud and where fraud is suspected the insurance companies share information with various databases.
5 We long keep your information
5.1 We retain insurance data for 6 years following closure of a claim. Other data will be held in accordance with the corporate retention schedule.
5.2 We will securely dispose of your information in line with the council's retention schedules.
6 How we store your information
6.1 We store your information such as documents prepared for defending legal claims and obtaining insurance cover on our claims database and on the council’s IT and cloud-based systems.
7 Your data protection rights
7.1 The law gives you a number of rights to control what personal information is used by us and how we can use it. Please see section 15 of the council’s Corporate Privacy Notice for further information.
7.2 Please be aware that your rights may differ depending on the lawful basis for processing your personal data.
8 Details on how to contact the Data Protection Officer (DPO) can be found on the council’s Corporate Privacy Notice
9 Changes to this privacy notice
9.1 Privacy notices are live documents, which will be updated or revised in line with legislation.Last updated 10 May 2022