Waste kerbside collection service privacy notice
1 Council Contact Details
1.1 West Northamptonshire Council
One Angel Square
Tel: 0300 126 7000
What is Waste Services?
Collection, processing and disposal of various types of waste from households and businesses in the district in line with our statutory duties as a Waste Authority. These services include arrangements for the collection of special waste streams like clinical waste, pre-arranged collections of bulky waste, or subscription services for garden waste.
Contact details specific to service:
If you have any queries that are specific to Waste Services, please contact us via the following: [email protected]
Tel: 0300 126 7000
1.2 Include the service area contact details if a shared mailbox.
2 Information that we hold
2.1 We currently collect and process the following information for the Waste Service where required by law and to help with the delivery of our services, including:
- dates of birth
- contact details
- ownership of land, premises or property
- medical status
- bank account
- other financial information
- details of family or other relationships where necessary.
2.2 Web page: Garden Waste
3 How the information is obtained
3.1 Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for the
- collection of bulky waste
- collection of infectious clinical waste, including sharps boxes
- provision of an assisted refuse or recycling collection
- provision of additional reuse or recycling wheeled bins for large families
- collection of chargeable garden waste
- collection of commercial waste and recycling
We also receive personal information indirectly, from the following sources in the following scenarios:
- our refuse and recycling collection contractors, through the complaints process
3.2 There are a number of reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information. Generally, we collect and use personal information where:
- it is necessary to meet our legal obligations (Environmental Protection Act 1990)
- you have requested a service from us
- you have entered into a contract with us (for example the Garden Waste Service)
- it is necessary to protect public health
- it is required for the defense of legal cases you have made your information publicly available
- it is necessary for law enforcement reasons and to prevent, and detect fraud or crime
4 What we do with the information
4.1 How we use your information for Waste Services
The Council uses your information for the purpose of performing any of its statutory duties and for legitimate interest in the delivery of Waste Services. It will make any disclosures required by law and may also share your information with other bodies responsible for detecting/preventing crime/protecting public health.
We will use your information to keep you informed on Waste related services.
We will not disclose your personal information to third parties for marketing purposes.
The information will only be used for the purposes stated when it was collected. Information will not be sold, rented or provided to anyone else, or used for any other purpose than that for which it was originally collected unless required to by law.
4.2 Who will have access to my personal data?
Information is shared with other regulatory and enforcement authorities including, but not limited to
- other Council services
- HM Revenues and Customs
- Home Office Immigration
- NHS services
- our waste collection and disposal contractors
- other local authorities when allowed to by law for the purposes of the administration and enforcement of regulations, and for the purposes of the prevention and detection of crime, public safety, public health, protection of the environment and prevention of fraud
Certain information about businesses (including in particular your name and the address of any premises that relates to a business) may be published on a public register on our website when we are required to by law to do so.
Where we do not directly provide the service, we may need to pass your personal information onto a company or organisation that do. These providers have to keep your details safe and secure, and use them only to provide the service, for example our training services.
We will share personal information with law enforcement or other authorities if required by applicable law. Any information sharing is undertaken in accordance with UK GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018. We have mechanisms in place to share information lawfully and securely.
5 How long we keep your information for and how we securely dispose of it after use
5.1 We will securely dispose of your information in line with the council's retention schedules.
6 How we store your information
6.1 Your information is securely stored on the council’s systems.
7 Your data protection rights
7.2 Please be aware that your rights may differ depending on the lawful basis for processing your personal data.
7.3 The right to withdraw consent (if applicable). You can ask that we no longer use your details for this [processing/groups of processing]. If you wish to exercise this right, please contact the Data Protection Officer detailed in section 8.1 below.
8 Who to contact
8.1 If you would like further information about how we use your personal information, or you wish to exercise one of your data rights or you wish to complain about the use of your personal information please contact the Data Protection Officer.
8.2 If you are still dissatisfied once you have contacted the Data Protection Officer, you have the right to complain to the ICO.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
Completion and review dates
This privacy notice was completed on 4 February 2022.
The privacy notice review date is February 2023.
Last updated 19 January 2023