Community safety and engagement privacy notice
1 Council Contact Details
1.1 West Northamptonshire Council
One Angel Square
Tel: 0300 126 7000
1.2 Community Safety & Engagement Service email: [email protected]
2 Information that we hold
Personal Information is any information that can be used to identify a living person.
2.1 We currently collect and process the following information for administering the services and statutory obligations of the Community Safety and Engagement department:
- Contact details
- Medical information
- Customer financial information
- Employee data
- Website user stats
- Details of race and ethnic origin
- religious or philosophical beliefs
- Sexual life or sexual orientation
- Criminal history
3 How the information is obtained
3.1 Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- Making a report or complaint
- Contributing to applications or consultations
- Making enquiries and requests
We also receive personal information indirectly, from the following sources in the following scenarios:
- Northants Police to anti-social behaviour case workers via secure systems
- Domestic Homicide Reviews
- Safeguarding of children, adults and vulnerable people including matters relating to cuckooing, exploitation, and serious organised crime.
- Details of a complaint, including in some cases, the name and details of perpetrator, location and any witnesses.
3.2 There are a number of reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information. Generally, we collect and use personal information where:
- it is necessary to meet our legal obligations;
- you have requested a service from us;
- you have entered a contract with us;
- it is necessary to protect public safety;
- it is required for the defence of legal cases;
- you, or your legal representative, have given us your consent;
- you have made your information publicly available;
- it is necessary for law enforcement reasons and to prevent, and detect fraud or crime;
- we need to protect individuals from harm (in an emergency); or
- it is necessary for archiving, research, or statistical purposes. For these purposes your data would be used in a pseudonymised format (name and other identifying information replaced with a unique number).
4 What we do with the information
4.1 We use the information that you have given us in order to:
- Determine an application
- Tell you the outcome of an application, enquiry or request
- Notify you if an appeal is received
- Issue and serve a notice
- Contribute to applications and consultations
- To take enforcement action
- Provide updates
4.2 We may share this information with:
- Minutes from Forum meetings will be published to the web
- West Northamptonshire Community Safety Partnership and other partners including Northants Police and other police forces across the UK; Northants Fire and Rescue Service; neighbouring local authorities; the Coroner’s Office; Environment Agency; HMRC, Gang masters and Labour Abuse Authority; Immigration Service; Probation Services; Clinical Commissioning Groups (NHS); NHS Trusts; Home Office; Registered Providers of Social Housing.
- Your information may also be shared with crime prevention agencies.
- Any information shared will be made in accordance with relevant legislation, or statutory obligation.
5 How long we keep your information for and how we securely dispose of it after use
5.1 Records will be held according to the corporate retention schedule. You have the right to request that your information is erased before this. If we have a statutory need to retain it, we will advise you.
5.2 We will securely dispose of your information in line with retention periods.
6 How we store your information
6.1 Your information is securely stored on the council’s systems.
7 Your data protection rights
7.2 Please be aware that your rights may differ depending on the lawful basis for processing your personal data.
7.3 The right to withdraw consent (if applicable). You can ask that we no longer use your details for this [processing/groups of processing]. If you wish to exercise this right, please contact the Data Protection Officer detailed in section 8.1 below.
8 Who to contact
8.1 If you would like further information about how we use your personal information, or you wish to exercise one of your data rights or you wish to complain about the use of your personal information please contact the Data Protection Officer.
8.2 If you are still dissatisfied once you have contacted the Data Protection Officer, you have the right to complain to the ICO
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
This privacy notice was completed on 1 April 2021
The privacy notice review date is 1 April 2022